Pirate 4x4 banner

81 - 100 of 429 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Due to a limit placed by Google the fire map I posted on p.1 will soon stop working. Fortunately, at just past midnight Pacific time the map will once again work. For details, see below.

The map is displayed by Gmap4 which is an enhanced Google map viewer that I developed. Each time any Gmap4 map is opened, the Google map API (Application Program Interface) is downloaded from Google’s servers to the user’s browser. This API is the magic that makes Google maps work.

Google allows the maps API to be downloaded 25,000 times per day for free. After that, all Gmap4 maps will stop working until the next day unless I pay Google for more API downloads. A new day starts at midnight Pacific time. Currently the API download counter is at 24,314.

Google has published two exceptions to the 25,000 daily limit. First, a 501c3 charity can apply to Google for an exemption. Second, maps that Google deems to be in the “public interest” can be granted an exemption. Since I also use Gmap4 for political activity I am not going to try to apply for a 501c3 charity classification. And unfortunately Google does not provide any hint for how to request a “public interest” exemption. If any googler happens to read this and can shed light I would love to learn how to apply for a “public interest” exemption.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
It's really hard to tell from the fire maps, but with the Tubb fire, will I be able to get to Calistoga from Santa Rosa (Porter Creek Rd to Petrified Forest Rd) then out 29 toward Lake County tomorrow?

Also, what is the name of the fire that is actually in Santa Rosa? I want to make sure I can get where I am going (W. Barham and Dutton)?
That IS the tub fire in Santa rosa, it is burning from calistoga to santa rosa. Doubtful you can drive between the two towns tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
23,556 Posts
That IS the tub fire in Santa rosa, it is burning from calistoga to santa rosa. Doubtful you can drive between the two towns tomorrow.
Wow! That's crazy! That's got to be about a 30-40 minute drive between the two places. Guess I've never really looked at map to see the physical separation.

I canceled that trip until things settle down. Now hopefully I can get to Quincy and Chester...

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Wife and I tried to volunteer at red cross today but we're turned away. If a pirate needs some hospitality, we're a bit down the road (alameda) but weve got a pull out bed and know how to handle guests. Best wishes to all affected. PM if we can help

·
Registered
943 Posts
I was supposed to make customer visits tomorrow all over Rt 101...called my guy in Ukiah around 3 PM CST and he said they weren't in any immediate danger, but that there wasn't going to be a safe or reliable way to get there from where I was (Sacramento) and that they're pretty much landlocked. Last I heard a few hours later was that 101 was reopened but sure to be a clusterfuck and not to count on getting through that way.
Thanks for the info, man. I finally heard from threm last night right around the time you posted, and they echoed pretty much exactly what you said.

They have several friends around the area that have lost everything, and they are sitting tight to see what happens next.

That little town and quite a few people there have a very special place in my heart and l hope they can see this through unharmed.

·
Premium Member
69,483 Posts
My cousin lost everything in rough and ready.....gone and gone. Helping him get situated at my parents house tonight
Damn. Need a hand?

For those who ain't from around here, the whole region go a pretty good wind going Sunday night from the SF Bay to the top of the Sierra Nevada (Tahoe), and it would seem any spark around set off brush fires.

Fortunately, at least up here, the winds died down in the morning. The fire that threatened my shop took out 4 houses in what was probably 20 minutes, from the looks of things. Fortunately, it was out for the most part at 10 AM when I passed thru, but meanwhile, there were 2-3 other fires all around the area.

·
Registered
12,994 Posts
The shelters set up in Marin are no longer accepting donations. They have no where to put it all. :)
The shelter at the civic center is full and the one at Terra Linda High school is filling fast.

I had one of my guys throw his BBQ on his trailer, pulled up to the civic center and started cooking hotdogs and giving drinks out to those affected. :smokin:

We will most likely be opening some of our buildings today as shelters. This shit isn't over, 0% containment and the winds will be back again tonight. 150 missing person reports, hope that number goes down as people find their families after fleeing.

81 - 100 of 429 Posts