Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my friend has a set of 3/4 / 1ton napco axles. i have been reading on here about eaton and the napco axles. are the napco axles the right size of eaton axle to use the 14 bolt locker and shafts? i have read about it but it has not been clear to me.
allen

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
The 3/4 and 1 ton Napco's I have seen have the Napco modified Eaton axle up front. I have heard about taking a rear Eaton and putting the 14 bolt shafts and detroit in it, which is an easy mod because the shafts are the same OD. Up front that could create some problems. You'd most likely have to get custom axleshafts made, and I don't think it would be worth the hassle.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i'm not worried about the front, from what i have read there are two different sizes of the eaton axles. and basically i am wondering if the napco is the right size for the 14 bolt part swap.

·
Registered
5,482 Posts
Napco conversions didn't change the rear axle. It's still the stock one. 3/4 & 1-tons used the same H-054 and H-072 axles (same center section) from '42(?) through '72. This the one I've heard about swappping 14FF guts into.

The bigger version is the H-110 (11,000lb) axle that came in some of the one tons. ~12" ring gear. Detroit still makes a locker for this one though :p

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
would a detroit locker made for the eaton axle work in the front? he has an old 3/4 ton 2x4 w/ an eaton axle and inside the cab there is a metal plate that says the truck is equipped w/ a detroit nospin differential. could we put that in the front and run the 14 bolt locke/shafts out back?

·
Registered
5,482 Posts
Yep. :smokin: :grinpimp:

Be careful though... if you :nuke: one of those rzeppa (birfield) joints you're SOL. Then you start having custom alloy u-joint shafts with coarse splines made for an axle with two-piece closed-knuckles, and external hubs... :shaking:

its a slippery slope :( I've been there with a 1/2-ton Napco truck. If it needs a rebuild, a spindle or two and set of locking hubs.... you better be doing an original restoration to make it worthwhile.

If you can run the stuff with some minor TLC, then do it. Otherwise sell them to some Napco enthusiast and build a D60. They're pure gold over here: http://www.napco4x4.org/

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
they are my friends axles and he is a napco enthusiast, just he likes wheeling also. he scored the rolling chassis of a converted 63 3/4 ton w/o motor or tranny w/ the axles and t-case for $300
also there is a company that makes the rzeppa joints still i think.

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
I have seen at least one Napco 1 ton fire truck (built on a '66 GMC C/3500 chassis) and it still had the order sheet, it was ordered from GM with the Napco Powr-Pak, 5.14 gears, and Detroits front & rear. It also had a 351 V6 SM420, and divorced Rockwell T221. Pretty sweet rig.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts