Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have a couple questions about narrowing a ford d44. if I use a mid 80's waggy shaft on the long side it will be a shaft length differance of approx. 1.79". Now when I cut the axle down should try to cut it down 1.79" exaclty or would 1.75 be close enough? Next I will have to relocate that passenger side perch to make the axle centered correct? It would have to be moved about 1.75" towards the pumkin if I wanted it to be centered correct?
Thanks

·
Registered
40 Posts
keep it full width:flipoff2:

·
Registered
9,338 Posts
You give us no information about the 44 you have that you want to cut down. What year is it...what is it out of?

Why don't you just get a waggy 44? :confused:

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jason R said:
You give us no information about the 44 you have that you want to cut down. What year is it...what is it out of?

Why don't you just get a waggy 44? :confused:
IT's a ford leaf sprung rr hp d44 of a f-150 utility truck. I dunno what year but I suspect late 70's. I would like to use it for the high pinion which waggies dont have.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
scramblerch said:
keep it full width:flipoff2:
I thought about it but I gotta drive it on the street as my dd. :D

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
btt

·
Registered
9,338 Posts
Cut it down to waggy length so you can use stock and aftermarket shafts that aren't completely custom. :D

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jason R said:
Cut it down to waggy length so you can use stock and aftermarket shafts that aren't completely custom. :D
Well I was hoping to have it be a little wider so I don't rub the springs when I turn to full lock. I was going to try to use mix and match shafts from several differant stock trucks to come up with a bit wider axle, but with the spring perch being cast into the center section I am not sure what it would take to make the axle centered under my truck without having the spring perches be to narrow. (I was shooting for anywhere between 29"-31.5" for the center to center measurment of the spring purches.) Does it sound like I am being to picky?:D

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
1badPOS said:

Ummm what about adjusting your steering stops?
Scott
Well thats true but I'd like to get as much steering radius as possible as to not ruin my turing ability too much. I guess I could run waggy shafts with a low backspace wheel like 2.5" to 3" or so and that might keep me out of the springs.:confused:

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Jason R said:
Well you're going to have to compromise somewhere. :rolleyes:
Yeah I know but at least I can keep thinking about it and driving myself, and everyone else for that matter, nuts! :flipoff2:

·
Registered
469 Posts
keep it full length, couldnt be more than a foot's difference.....
fuck.... weld the diff... daily drivers are for the weak... or atleast leave that job to another vehicle!

if i've been able to run 3 vehicles since i was 18, theres no reason to use a hopped up jeep as a DD

sorry to snap, but next to every single project that sounds cool is "but not too extreme, its my DD"

·
Wish it was my job!
2,106 Posts
Leave it full width, save the $$ and effort you would have spent on narrowing it on getting 1" deeper offset wheels to make up for it. You are talking about narrowing the axle 2 measely inches for crying out loud.

·
Registered
891 Posts
I used scout long shaft with cherokee chief short shaft...total width...60.5 inches

and for gods sake be precise with your measuring and cutting, I mean, why not?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts