Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My home-built bought-partially-built-by-someone-else trailer has some issues. (and the award for mastering the art of understatement goes to...) This is the same trailer that has too-wide axles.

There are some good parts here, and even a solid frame, but suffice it to say, it needs some serious work.

The neighbors aren't complaining about the TRAILER (yet), but I can't store it onsite in its current WIDE configuration. I have an 8-foot space between the side fence and the shop, and I'm game to use this space, but the trailer needs to be narrower.

Since the trailer needs plenty of work anyway, I'm open to creative solutions.
* narrow the trailer axles AND frame, slip it in as-is (stability issues?)
* narrow the trailer axles and inboard the fenders into the 7'-wide bed
* come up with some snazzy way to tip the trailer on its side and store it up against the fence (1200 lbs worth of trailer?!?!?)
* ????
* pay rent for trailer parking somewhere

Help me brainstorm...

Randii

·
Premium Member
9,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
BUMP. :D

The only real penalty to a narrow trailer that I can see might be less stability to rollover, and I'm not sure that matters too much on-road.

Maybe less stability down the road, but longer tongue could offset that?

Randii

·
Registered
499 Posts
How wide are the axles now, and how wide is the deck?

My trailer is 83 inches between the fenders (almost 7 feet), and a full-size with anything other than stock backspaced and stock width rims will barely fit (stock K5 Blazer with 31x10.50 is 78-80 inches outside to outside of front tires).

Is the deck wider than 8 feet now?

Got any pics?

·
Premium Member
9,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
How wide are the axles now, and how wide is the deck?
Axles are wider than legal, 112" IIRC.
The bed itself is 7' wide... tires just stick out a bunch. No pics.

Selling int in its current condition would be a big waste -- it is pretty inoperable at the moment. That said, all the components are there, it just needs weld time... (time I have little of, welder I have plenty of).

I'd consider buying one that fits my needs, but I have not seen one. My narrow sideyard storage constraints require a total width under 8' ( afew inches to spare would help sneak it in there without taking out the fence) but my vehicle choice almost demands a wide deck.

Is it just the unique requirements or is there a reason why we don't see many dual-axle heavy-weight narrow trailers?

Randii

·
Premium Member
9,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here's a sketch of what I've got on the left...

...and a sketch of what I propose on the right...

Black is 5" channel frame, brown is leaf springs, grey is wood deck. The wood deck pivots on the back crossmember of the 5"channel.

Besides the time involved, I don't really see a downside to this...

Randii

·
Premium Member
9,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sell the axles you have now and buy a new set. I wouldn't buy an axle or trailer that had chopped down axles for fear that they wouldn't be straight and the welding would suck.
Yeah.... THAT'S easy. :rolleyes:

For sale: one set of homebuilt 112.5" wide axles with wheels.

Any takers? :p

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
randii said:
Here's a sketch of what I've got on the left...

...and a sketch of what I propose on the right...

Black is 5" channel frame, brown is leaf springs, grey is wood deck. The wood deck pivots on the back crossmember of the 5"channel.

Besides the time involved, I don't really see a downside to this...

Randii
What type of beam does the axle have? I beam, tube beam, etc.

·
Premium Member
9,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What type of beam does the axle have? I beam, tube beam, etc.
1/4-wall square tube, with the spindles welded to the top of the tube.

Randii

·
Registered
499 Posts
I think your idea of inboarding the tires is a good one for your needs. Pick a width that you want - the max you can have for your 8 foot storage space. Like maybe 7.5 feet? Cut the axles in the center to get the desired width outside-to-outside of the tires. Then sleeve some larger tubing over the existing axle tube where you cut out the center.

·
Registered
12,465 Posts
I know it sounds booty fab.....but couldnt you just hack XXX inches out of the center and re weld them together? Kinda like extending a frame but instead taking some out? I know the issue there is getting it straight, but I would think that could be overcome :confused:

·
Premium Member
9,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm leaning toward building a whole new subframe, with stringers from the tongue to the back, and mounting the spring/axle assembly to that...

Randii

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
61,972 Posts
Man Randii - can't you just find a used trailer and buy it? Seems like an awful lot of work, and not much $$$ savings :confused:

·
Premium Member
9,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Man Randii - can't you just find a used trailer and buy it? Seems like an awful lot of work, and not much $$$ savings :confused:
Too much work, too little savings in cash... normally, I'd agree.

That said, read the post up top. My free storage is 8 feet wide AT MOST... I need a 7-foot wide trailer. Not too many of those available to buy, and the cost of having one custom-made to my specs has proven to be UGLY.

That's why I'm thinking about modifying what I have... I'm not thrilled about it, but I'm lacking other options. :(

Randii

·
Registered
10,182 Posts
bummer man.

My buddy is in exact other side of the situation you are in. He has a trailer frame that is too narrow and wants to widen it. The more we look at it, the more it costs to build it. :(

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.