Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning a new project and I'm looking for some info. The plan is to build a YJ with a 350tbi, SM465/241 combo, and put a set of GM 1 ton axles under it. The engine/trans swap should be easy enough but the problem I have is I have to get the axles narrowed. I would love to leave them full width but because of our laws the tires can't stick out. The widest flare I have found is listed at 8" which in this state is also illegal but I'm not to concerned with that. Has anybody ever narrowed a D60 and a 14ff to fit under a Jeep? If so what did you do? Also looking for ideas on moving the springs.

·
Registered
10,514 Posts
search for pics of TPIJeep
he narrowed a 60/14bolt to like stock width on a CJ7:eek:

·
Registered
214 Posts
Try searching the net, there is a lot of information on narrowing axles for Jeeps. My father-in-law knows a guy in Ohio that is going to cut my 60's down to fit my 92 YJ. I am also in the middle of putting in a 383 stroker/sm 420/atlas/60's.
Are you going to re-title your YJ to make it legal. I've been looking into it and am not real positive on what to change it to, reconstructed???My father-in-law has his own garage and he said that the title definately has to be changed but he isn't real positive either on what to do :confused:

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
Wayne,

what size tires you plan on running? me and my buddy are also planning on a buildup of a jeep we hope to keep street legal. it wont be a DD, but we want to make it as badass as possible and still keep it PA street legal. just trying to get an idea of how big you think you will able to go and keep it legal. thanks.

·
Registered
12,166 Posts
I think the dually 14 bolts are 64" WMS to WMS. Thats pretty close to stock YJ width. For the fron't 60 you will need to cut one down or pay the $$$ for one from Dynatrac, etc. Search on google also :flipoff2: , there are a couple of articles on narrowing 60's out there.

·
Registered
891 Posts
c&c

Im not sure what stock width was on your jeep but I know you can get a c&c 14 bolt that is 63 wms to wms then get some hummer rims or just some 5 inch backspaced wheels and it should work OK if you have flares, It is not hard to narrow a front axle at all, I narrowed my dana 44 from 65 to 60 inches in about 2 hours.

One thing you will have to watch out for is your tires getting into your frame if you go to narrow, with 14 bolts and 60's I would think you are running a pretty tall tire, I know a buddy of mine ran 38.5 on and an axle that was 58" wms to wms and it got into the frame of his yj, he ended up going with the c&c 14 bolt and like 2.5" backspacing, just some things to consider.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm not planning to do anything with the title unless I pull a YJ out of a junk yard to start the project. If I get one with a title there is no need to change it.
I am planning to run 36x12.5x16 Swamper radials on 16x8" steel wheels with 4 1/2" backspacing. I believe that is the tallest I can go and stay street legal to a point.;) I already have the 14ff shaved on the bottom and the 36's are a true 36" tall. I'm probably going to get custom springs made with 2" of lift and with the spring over I should have a total of 7" of lift. I already have the drivetrain except the trans and that's why I want to use it. I can't see spending 3 grand to get a set of 44's up to par when I already have a set of geared and locked 1 tons.
46 willys, I'm pretty sure on the front I will have to get the knuckels cut and turned for setting the caster so that is the ideal time to narrow it but what about the inner shafts?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Wayne

Your running the same set-up that I am going to use. I ordered (Alcan) 2" lift springs for the rear and 1" lift spring for the front with a SRS. My springs should be here this week. I am also planning on running 36x12.5 Swampers with 16x8 wheels. I am still working on the frame so I have a long way to go before I cut my axles.
Let me know what your WMS to WMS is when you cut them. Have you looked into putting TJ flares on. I am thinking about using stock Sahara TJ flares or aftermarket 6" TJ flares.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wayne 89 1 Ton K5 said:
I'm not planning to do anything with the title unless I pull a YJ out of a junk yard to start the project. If I get one with a title there is no need to change it.
I am planning to run 36x12.5x16 Swamper radials on 16x8" steel wheels with 4 1/2" backspacing. I believe that is the tallest I can go and stay street legal to a point.;) I already have the 14ff shaved on the bottom and the 36's are a true 36" tall. I'm probably going to get custom springs made with 2" of lift and with the spring over I should have a total of 7" of lift. I already have the drivetrain except the trans and that's why I want to use it. I can't see spending 3 grand to get a set of 44's up to par when I already have a set of geared and locked 1 tons.
46 willys, I'm pretty sure on the front I will have to get the knuckels cut and turned for setting the caster so that is the ideal time to narrow it but what about the inner shafts?
Yes I am planning to use the TJ flares. I saw an add for 8" ones so I am going to look into them. I'm also looking to get the measurement from somebody with a Waggy D44 in the front of a YJ to give me the measurement from the wheel mounting surface to the center of the spring. I need that so I can figure out if I can keep the springs in the stock location and just hack one side of the 60. If that will work it will be cheaper and easier since there will be less fab work involved. I'll just have to make sure there is enough front driveshat clearance to do that.

·
Registered
891 Posts
front end

When I did my front I used a combination of scout shafts and cherokee shafts to get my desired width, Im am pretty light and only run 35's so I went with the 44, I have under 300 bones in it, that includes disk brakes and premium warn hubs. All I have left to do is lock it.

When you grind off you inner knuckles and cut the axle pay attention to how much you cut off then send your shafts to dutchmen axle and tell them how much to take off, if U joints are removed and you have them do 2 shafts I think it is around 85$, at least thats what it was when I checked into it. If you have them do you a set of spares why they are at it I think they do 2 sets for 150$

·
Registered
891 Posts
Stock YJ width is 58"
I cut a 60 down to 62" and was going to tube the fenders.
Gotta love these PA laws. :rolleyes:

Here's a pic of mine.

Attachments

·
Registered
169 Posts
Any local axle place in your area should be able to help you out. Crack open the yellow pages and have at it.
Doctor G, I thought stock was 60in?

·
Registered
146 Posts
doctor G, is that a HP center section on yours? if it is did you add the hubs on the ends or press out/in the tubs with them on?

I'm plannin on cutting down some axles for my TJ. HP44 and D60FF. I hear the FF is a pain to cut down, unless you have a jig.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: front end

46willys said:
When you grind off you inner knuckles and cut the axle pay attention to how much you cut off then send your shafts to dutchmen axle and tell them how much to take off, if U joints are removed and you have them do 2 shafts I think it is around 85$, at least thats what it was when I checked into it. If you have them do you a set of spares why they are at it I think they do 2 sets for 150$
Never heard of the place. Do you have any contact info for them? I'm not going to do the cutting on the axles. That is one thing I will farm out. All I'm planning to do is put them under, move the spring perch on the driver side, get the measurement on how much to knock off, and then send it to get narrowed and the knuckles turned to set the caster. I can get that done locally but I need a place to do the shafts. I might attempt narrowing the rear axle if I have to. I'm going to check into a cab and chassie 14ff first and if it will work I'll just swap my guts in out of the axle I already have.

·
Registered
214 Posts
doctor_G

I believe that the stock YJ width is 60".
What size tires are you running and backspacing? I am planning on cutting mine down to 62" also. Just curious how much the tires stick out past the fenders:eek:

·
Registered
891 Posts
Dutchman

Its DUTCHMAN axle, if you search for it on this board you will get a lot of hits because a lot of guys use them.

Try this web address HERE

If you want to save money its not hard to shorten them yourself, I did a lot of searching and I narrowed mine wtih out doing any grinding, just take really good measurements before you cut anything and park the axle tube with a center-punch or something, then cut the inner knuckle off, as close to the knuckle as you can, with a chop saw, then cut a notch in the tube inside the knuckle with a sawzall, then knock it out with a hammer, really its quite simple, then you can set your own caster in a matter of and hour or two.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Well I would just think about making tube flares to cover the meats. Use a lotta backspacing. I have full width 60's under my Jeep and have 39.5"x18" Boggers on 16.5"x14" Weld SS2 wheels (cant remember backspacing would have to go look) and then have TJ 6" Xenon flares. If you look at my web community you can see how much they stick out. (about half the tire past the flare) But if you make some big tube flares you can make them as wide as you want plus get more clearence to articulate. But one thing to consider (saw someone mention it) is that spring clearence will be a issue trying to run big meats to colse to the frame. I widened and extended my frame to accept the stock spring mounts on the axle. And it come real close to the springs.

P.S. I am so glad that here in Texas we dont have to worry about this crap.

·
Registered
492 Posts
a guy around here got full widths on a cherokee. He cut 2 cherokees up and welded them back together to make a wide ass cherokee. Looks like a hummer kinda now with its proportions.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts