Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for hints suggestions write ups web pages. Ive seen them for the front but now sure if it is the same thing for the rear. For information sake I am narrowing an early cherokee 44 to fit a cj5.

thanks

arndog

·
Registered
789 Posts
my .02 says leave it like it is and get a front to match. that is what you will want latter anyway

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the reason for narrowing is the rear is out of a 76 wagoneer and even though it is centered the yolk is 4" offset. I don't think something like this will fit in a SOA cj5

thanks

arndog

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
I asked this question on another board one time, and was told it's much more difficult to narrow a rear than a front. The reason is the ujoint absorbs any misalignments. Alignment for the rear is much more critical. If your end flanges get warped while welding them on, your bearings won't last long. You have to use a jig to make sure that doesn't happen. Here is an article that details making the jig.

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,917 Posts
Why not just get a early d-44 that came in a CJ 5?. Buy the time you pay somebody to jig it up and weld on the ends you could of bought a ready to go one.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
as for cost I got them as a pair so regearing either was more expensive then just getting both.

I was thinking that you could cut the tube off at the housing get the left over tube out of the housing. cut off whatever length you need press the tube back in, align and weld away.

anybody see any problem with this.

by the way thanks for the article
arndog

1 - 7 of 7 Posts