Pirate 4x4 banner

361 - 380 of 408 Posts

·
Run what you brung.
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #361
Are you taking out the s-curve bar that limits the rear tire travel before going to JV?
Probably not. I was looking at the calender this morning and I have 3 garage days left before we head down. Anything that isn't critical path will have to wait.

·
Run what you brung.
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #366
Couple small projects for the day.
I picked up some 1/4" wheel spacers from Summit Racing and installed them on the front to get a bit more room to the high steer arms.
I checked with Ballistic Fabrication and they don't specify the studs that come with their arms. They do sell grade 8 studs but even grade 8 are specified at 150,000 PSI whereas ARP is speced at 220,000 PSI so I figured I'd make the switch. I just want my steering to be bomber and not something to worry about.
Had the front drive shaft re-tubed with 1/4" because the last trip out it got beat to shit.
Installed a shackle attachment point. Getting at the Ammo cans out around the hitch mount was a pain so I picked up a mount from Ballistic.
I cut the fenders another 1.5" because they were cutting up my PBR's.

Attachments

·
Run what you brung.
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #367
I finally dragged my truck to the scales. As it sits with a full tank of gas, my typical tools and trail kit, & no people she's sitting at:
4480# Total weight
2520# Front 56%
1960# Rear 44% (No Cooler :flipoff2:)

It was great to get a short trip towing for the first time with the Yukon XL as well. It handled highway 17 like a champ but I learned while in the gas station in Scotts Valley that the breaks felt soft because the truck didn't have a brake control as standard issue. The rear passenger side was smoking a bit and I wasn't even hard on the brakes at all. I pulled the brake controller out of the Tundra. (I figure whom ever buys it can buy their own.) Took me 3 hours to find someone with the adapter for the Tekonsha - Prodigy controller to GM in stock. Plugged right in to the wiring harness in 2 minutes. :smokin: Pirate4x4.Com - The largest off roading and 4x4 website in the world. Had the Yukon and trailer weighed with the runner on it 13640#. The guy at LOCATELLI MOVING & STORAGE was super cool. I'll totally go back there if I need get another vehicle weighed.

I also had a buddy ask about what I typically bring on the trail in the Ammo cans. It is really a hodge podge of stuff that would have been helpful at some point. In any case here is the typical for my rig.
High lift jack, foam pad, map of JV with GPS
Can 1 Recovery: Strap, snatch block, shackle jumper cables, ratchet straps, multi meter, etc...
Can 2 Fluids: Gear oil, Power steering, brake, fuel tank repair (This shit has saved my ass countless times), stock output shaft, drive shaft u-joints, Radiator hose.
Can 3 Misc: Assortment of bolts, Brake flare kit with misc hardline and ends, Wire, old Toy braded brake lines. high pressure power steering lines and ends, set of belts
Can 4 Hand tools: Mostly use this kit when wrenching in the garage to make sure I have what I need on the trail.
HAM Base camp radio to keep the wife from trippin.

We have been going to the Tin Bender Jambo for so many years that we can't not make the trek in April even though they're moving their gig to the fall. Setting up to pull out to Johnson Valley for a long weekend April 24-27 if anyone else is planning on being out there and wouldn't mind another rig tagging along look me up.

Attachments

·
Run what you brung.
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #369
For whoever asked about the ammo cans...Whatever you forgot needs to be in your buddy's truck. Also bring extra beer in the cooler to pay those helping you along the way.:grinpimp:
Yeah Buddy! Thanks for carrying all the stuff I forgot...and paying it forward with the cold beer for the clean up crew. Clearly not to be forgotten. :rasta:

·
Run what you brung.
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #370
Had a great trip to the Hammers this past weekend. Although the weather was terrible. It wasn't bad in the canyons but on the lake bed 20-30 mph winds with gusts to 40 and it rained on us Friday night. The Yukon XL towed great and is clearly a better choice in tow vehicle over the first generation Tundra. Tim and I were pretty much point and shoot all weekend long. After all these years I still spend a lot of time lost in the desert looking for trails. We couldn't find the branch off to FOH and ended up in the drainage between Highway 20 and the Sunbonnet exit. :shaking: That drainage started getting gnarly so we started investigating to see why with the GPS and low and behold we weren't on highway 20 at all. Oh well some day we'll be able to drive right to where we want to go. We ran Wrecking Ball when we first got there, Sledge that night, SOS Friday (Tim Rolled due to bad spotting at the second water fall), Resolution, Claw, and Highway 20 Saturday. We would have gotten more trails in if the weather was better and we learn how to keep from getting lost in the desert. One of these days I'll learn how to use my GPS before I need to actually use it.

Attachments

·
O-ring Technologist
1,261 Posts
Looks like you guys had a good trip. I looked for your rig on the lakebed on Friday night but didn't see you. We were camped up next to turkey claw. That wind sure did bring the suck.

·
Run what you brung.
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #372
Sorry we missed you. I figured with the weather you didn't make it. Felt like we were the only ones out there. We were way out at the end of the lake bed. Super exposed but we had cell service so my preggers wife could surf chilling at camp. Next trip maybe. I think we are going to target October with the Benders. With another little one on the way hopefully she'll be old enough to make the trip. The wind got me thinking about getting an enclosed trailer so at a minimum we'd have a place to chill and have a beer in piece.

·
Run what you brung.
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #373
I've been babied so I haven't had much time to wrench lately but plan to head to the hammers for the Tin Bender Jam so I started breaking into the cases. I picked up a Competition Marlin Crawler 23 spline 4.7 gear set off the board and will be installing a 30 spline front output that I picked up a while back. When draining the oil it was really black and low on volume but all the internals look good. As a note I busted 3 sets of snap ring pliers on this snap ring. I began to think I was doing something wrong but even Marlin's instruction indicated that they broke a set of snap ring pliers so I guess I just need some thing a bit more heavy duty.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
Looks good man, I've been happy with the chromo comp 4.7's so far although I do still think the t-cases are the weakest link in my drive train. I also had an old adapter and had to run a .125" spacer on the 23spline coupler to get everything to line up correctly.

·
Run what you brung.
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #375
Looks good man, I've been happy with the chromo comp 4.7's so far although I do still think the t-cases are the weakest link in my drive train. I also had an old adapter and had to run a .125" spacer on the 23spline coupler to get everything to line up correctly.
I think you are right about the case still being the week link but at least it is as upgraded as it can be. My buddy is building a 383,Th350,Atlas combo I'm going to have to keep up with soon so I'm going to need all the strength I can get.

I haven't tried to fit the coupler yet but my buddy and I did our cases at the same time and he has an MC07. That's what I told Marlin when I picked up the coupler. They did mention that they needed to know the vintage of the crawl box in order to send the right coupler. I'm super hopeful they sent the right one. I don't see anything that says MC07 though.:eek:gre:

Any chance you are heading to Johnson Valley next weekend. The wives are staying home for this trip so we are bound to get ourselves into trouble. :D

·
Run what you brung.
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #376
Last time I was out I busted my driver seat. Punched through the lumbar section so I picked up a PRP Podium +2" wide. Fits great I used the rails from the Toyota seat and welded them to the tabs so I could use the factory mounting points.

I also pulled the interlock pin when putting the case back together. I've read that others have done that and still run a single stick without issue. I'll eventually go twin stick but for today I think it'll be fine.

Attachments

·
Run what you brung.
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #378
It has been a long time since I've done anything on my rig but I finally got around to installing a roof out of 0.125" Aluminum. I'm stoked to not have to zip tie a tarp up every time I want a bit of shade. The aluminum got pretty hot when doing the install so I ordered a sheet of this.
Thermo-Tec : Thermo-Guard FR
I think it'll be a nice headliner as well as good insulation from the heat.

While I was at it I added a few tie down brackets for my roof top camping gear bag.

Attachments

361 - 380 of 408 Posts