Pirate 4x4 banner

381 - 400 of 408 Posts

·
Run what you brung.
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #381
Wahoo!!! I got a garage day today. (About fricken time) I finally replaced the welded front with a Grizzley. I'm super stoked to see how much this will help me steer. The welded front is great for traction but terrible for steering! I got super lucky that I didn't have to mess with the shim stack at all. Just pull it and move the bearings and ring gear over and put it all back together. 0.006" backlash and the pattern still looks good. :smokin:

Attachments

·
Does yer dewg bite?
5,664 Posts
Are you in the Los Gatos mountains?

·
Does yer dewg bite?
5,664 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
I was going to ask how your original Full Hydro mount was holding up until I saw it cratered. I am in the middle of setting up a Full Hydro system on my 85 now (along with a 3link, auto swap and Atlas II install) Any suggestions on a way to make the original mount work a little better? I had planned to set it up inititally like you had it before. I dont really have the room to tie into the lower drag link location due to the seering arms and the BS on the wheels I currently have.

·
Run what you brung.
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #387
I was going to ask how your original Full Hydro mount was holding up until I saw it cratered. I am in the middle of setting up a Full Hydro system on my 85 now (along with a 3link, auto swap and Atlas II install) Any suggestions on a way to make the original mount work a little better? I had planned to set it up inititally like you had it before. I dont really have the room to tie into the lower drag link location due to the seering arms and the BS on the wheels I currently have.
It would have been fine with .188 wall or better material grade.

What I should have used:
o Specifications: ASTM A513 Type 5, 1020/1026 mechanical grade
o Applications: race car frames, roll cages, motorcycle frames, spindles, rollers, shafts, engine mounts, bushings, cylinders, telescoping, etc.
o Workability: Easy to Weld, Cut, Form and Machine
o Mechanical Properties: Brinell = 80, Tensile = 80,000 +/-, Yield = 70,000 +/-
MetalsDepot® - Buy DOM Round Steel Tube Online!

What I actually used: (60% of the yield strength.)
o Specifications: ASTM A513, 1010 structural grade
o Applications: frame work, support columns, gates, fencing, handrails, roll cages, protective barriers, door posts, bollards, etc.
o Workability: Easy to Weld, Cut, Form and Machine
o Mechanical Properties: Tensile = 58,000 +/-, Yield = 42,000 +/-
MetalsDepot® - Buy Round Steel Tube Online!

·
Run what you brung.
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #391
Johnson Valley 2018.

Our Spring trip this year turned out to be more of a shake the dust off the truck type of trip. Turned out to be plagued with stupid preventable breaks that just make you shake your head and think I should have seen that coming. I'm not going to get into all of it but here are some of the highlights.

Made it up Backdoor for the first time. Pretty stoked about that. I should probably crop the videos but oh well. Skip to the end for the goods.

·
Run what you brung.
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #393

Attachments

·
Run what you brung.
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #395
how do you like or dislike the grizzly locker
So far I love it! It gives me WAY better steering than the Welded front that I started with, I never hear it ratchet, and don't have to think about it. It just works. I'd buy another one.

·
Registered
12,257 Posts
To add to that, I really like an auto locker front (Detroit, grizzly, lunchbox) I just built some 1 tons for mine and went with an arb rear Detroit front.

·
Run what you brung.
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #398
Apparently It's been a while since posting. ...and I broke it. :flipoff2:

So much for Marlin Crawler's Competition gear set. I called and they only warranty manufacturing defects. I get that. A Toy Case is just a Toy Case.

Wheeling weekend turned camping trip. :smokin:

Attachments

381 - 400 of 408 Posts