Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to figure out if there is any difference between cast NA and cast turbo pistons other then compression ration differences? I have a set of na rocks that I would like to use to save on cost. Since I will be running propane or natural gas compression wont matter as much. Do the turbo pistons have bigger pins or more material or anything? Thanks for the help and sorry for not serching god.

·
Registered
9,898 Posts
This doesn't make a lot of sense, are you building a turbo motor or an n/a? There's no reason to put a turbo piston in a n/a motor unless you want to lose power due to the compression drop. To be honest you are on the wrong forum for asking turbo toy questions, there is a lot of info here but the guys who are hardcore into the turbo knowledge are at 22rte trucks forum.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Hey,

Turbo pistons, are forged, n/a pistons are cast.

1 point drop in compression, is less then 2 hp drop, per cyl.

Thanks, Kiwi

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am building a turbo motor. Higher compression equals faster turbo spool so I would like to use the n/a pistons, but if they are weaker I will order some ebay cast turbo pistons. I am building budget motor so I dont want to spend 400 or 500 on forged pistons and since I am using propane I won't have to worry as much about tuning and melting pistons. I asked here because I have not found a smarter group of toyota guys anywere else on the internet.

·
Premium Member
2,056 Posts
higher compression won't make the turbo spool any faster really (within a few points) . the best way to spool the turbo faster is to put on a small turbo. the higher compression will only have detenation issues.... turbo and propane will be interesting to see the outcome of this. i would say that the turbo piston's will have a thicker top on the piston and the n/a will be thinner if comparing same comp ratio

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Dont know bud but can tell you this. Turbo likes low compression and the 'pane likes high.

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
I am building a turbo motor. Higher compression equals faster turbo spool so I would like to use the n/a pistons, but if they are weaker I will order some ebay cast turbo pistons. I am building budget motor so I dont want to spend 400 or 500 on forged pistons and since I am using propane I won't have to worry as much about tuning and melting pistons. I asked here because I have not found a smarter group of toyota guys anywere else on the internet.
:laughing::laughing: those 2 never go together:shaking::laughing::laughing::laughing:

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am building budget turbo motor because I dont want to be one these idiots that spends 10k to make 200 hp out of a 22RE when I could have just thrown in a 5.0 and spent the money elsewere. I am trying to justify leaving in the 22RE by building it cheap so

Freshly machined Block & Crank, complete rebuild kit with pistons, fresh rebuilt head-200 Brother in Law Deal
CAT H beam rods with arp rod bolts (no rods with motor)-250
MLS headgasket-30
ARP headstuds-125
Turbo Exaust Manifold-250
Turbo already have Holset HX35 from cummins diesel with custom exaust housing for a 4g63 ( the 2.0's with this turbo are at full spool 20psi+ around 3200rpm)
HEI Distributor-350
Propane setup-1200
Odds & Ends-300

So for 2500 bucks I hope to have a new motor the will put out 250-300hp and keep the weight down since I am running air shocks up front.

·
Registered
346 Posts
The 22rte pistons were pressure cast IIRC..... not quite as good as a forged, but better than a "standard" cast piston.
they also had a thermal barrier coating on them... can't hurt.
If you want to boost a higher compression engine, especially propane (roughly 110 octane, yes?) You might want to consider the hypereutectic pistons. and maybe a small head gasket spacer?
If you're carefull with fueling and timing, you really shouldn't have a problem.

·
Registered
269 Posts
First of all no matter how cheap you can build this motor even with high quality stuff, you have to look into the electronics since the fuel injection system sucks. You better start pricing out stand alone systems. Forget about the stock Toyota stuff, anything with a vane air meter will not get you were you want to be.

James

·
Registered
346 Posts
First of all no matter how cheap you can build this motor even with high quality stuff, you have to look into the electronics since the fuel injection system sucks. You better start pricing out stand alone systems. Forget about the stock Toyota stuff, anything with a vane air meter will not get you were you want to be.

James
www.rs-autosport.com
megasquirt :)

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
I am building budget turbo motor because I dont want to be one these idiots that spends 10k to make 200 hp out of a 22RE when I could have just thrown in a 5.0 and spent the money elsewere. I am trying to justify leaving in the 22RE by building it cheap so

Freshly machined Block & Crank, complete rebuild kit with pistons, fresh rebuilt head-200 Brother in Law Deal
CAT H beam rods with arp rod bolts (no rods with motor)-250
MLS headgasket-30
ARP headstuds-125
Turbo Exaust Manifold-250
Turbo already have Holset HX35 from cummins diesel with custom exaust housing for a 4g63 ( the 2.0's with this turbo are at full spool 20psi+ around 3200rpm)
HEI Distributor-350
Propane setup-1200
Odds & Ends-300

So for 2500 bucks I hope to have a new motor the will put out 250-300hp and keep the weight down since I am running air shocks up front.
I know you didn't ask for my opinion, but since you posted on pirate, you are going to get it anyway:p
At $2,500, it's not low budget & a motor swap to me is the way to go.
I know light, well a 3.4L isn't too heavy, and at what rpm or you going to see 250-300hp? at any reasonable rpm? how much torque are you looking at in the 1,000-1,500 rpm , the crawling trail rpm?

·
Registered
9,898 Posts
2500$ is not budget, if i wasgoing to throw that much I would toss another couple hundred on it and call doa. My motor is a budget build 22rte with bad turbo and cracked head bought the whole runner with no rust for 300$ sold the turbo piping for 100 and the 33's for 100 so i have 100$ in it. A 600$ call to engine builder for pistons,cam and rebuild kit scored a head from a buddy who owed a favor and bought a 135$ header from jt outfitters (yea the ebay one good quality by the way) and I'll be up and running with machine work for a grand. To me thats justifiable, in your case i hope you like to work on it a shit ton because I don't see reliability in your forcast.

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
uninformative, unhelpful, and mostly wrong.
yay :flipoff2:
I'm not so sure of that last part:)
turbo pistons have a thicker top, & IIRC thicker skirts too, to deal with the demands of a turbo;)

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I would consider 2500 cheap for a 0 mile motor and that includes 1200 bucks for a propane fuel system? I could probally pay the same for a 3.4 swap but then I would have a motor with 100k or more on it. If I was going to do a motor swap it would be a 5.0 more torque then a 3.4 probally the same gas mileage and easier to upgrade. So the turbo pistons have thicker piston tops and skirts? That is what I wanted to know all along. Also a turbo 22re turbo would be putting out altleast the same amount of torque at 1000 or 1500 rpm as a na 22re probally more since it will building a small amount of boost I'd imagine with the load and all but if not the excess backpressure would maybe?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts