Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This project started like many, a worn out $500 YJ. As usual after the first "build" and season of wheeling the rig took on a life of it's own. The first go around, RE 4.5" leaf kit, Pro Comp 35" xmt, Superwinch Epi9.0, d30 alloy usa/ARB, etc. The 4banger was shot, the frame rotted, and I hated hitting everything with the front shackles. Sent the old setup out with a bang.

Attachments

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The next step was a new frame, engine, tranny, tcase, and front suspension. I'm a big Ford guy, so the engine of choice was easy Mustang 5.0. Tranny is an np435 mated to a JB Convertions 231hd. An explorer 8.8 with an ARB for the rear. I really didn't know much about suspension geometry etc. at this point so a prefab kit was the solution. I went with a Rock Krawler 3 link coilover kit. Since I'm an electrician by trade and a fabricator in my dreams, my buddy Kenny does all the welding for me. Here's some of his handy work.

Attachments

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The front kit was a little taller than anticipated, both for the 35's and for the rear lift. Made a swap to 37" pitbull rockers and swapped in a set of 5" BDS leafs.

Attachments

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here's where things start to get interesting. Knowing that I'm pushing (past)the limits of the d30, I started looking at front axle options. The plan at this point is to stay with the 37's. The choice, Spider 9 with a TrueHi9 Center. An ARB locker and a set of RCV custom shafts top it off. For outers I used a set of d30 inner outer and knuckles. Now before you say wtf remember my intention is to stay with 37's and at this point I've only had a ring and pinion failure. Going RCV eliminated the tiny ujoint. I do have the ability to cut off the inners and go 1 ton if need be without having to get a new housing. Damn axle pics are on my other comp, I'll update as soon as I can.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When your really happy with your rig, the worst thing to do is go riding with someone running a set of 39" BFG stickeys. You know what happens next. Throw in a set of Spyderlocks for good measure along with a Super 88 axle kit, PSC sbox, and Ppump kit. Now it's starting to look like something.

Attachments

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After a solid year of wheeling with this setup, the rear leaf setup is showing it's downfalls. I've also been spending more and more time lurking over here, trying to absorb as much info as humanly possible. I've been following lots of builds and threads and would like to give credit for much of the insperation for my next build phase. Here are some of their builds and threads.

Triaged http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=204893
WideJ http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=666090
Wallysheata http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=810253
axle bender http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=976187
kirbyiv http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1038946

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So here's the next step and a list of some of the parts and the pirate vendors I got them from.
atlas 4speed 5.44 from machinewave
atlas support from Roark fab
ORI's from blacksheep
Hiems, truss, etc. Ruff Stuff
vert bandsaw mount Swag offroad

Starting things off with a design on the 4 link calc. Got the back of the old tub chopped off. Mounted the atlas and mocked up all the shift levers.

Attachments

·
NERD
8,624 Posts
I like it :smokin: Same thing I want to do with my build. Cool to see your super88 held up to the stickies, I always enjoy watching a build that doesn't involve a 14 bolt and a 60. Are you still going to run the 309 hybrid front axle? Have you had any ball joint issues?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
GTX yes I am still running the "309". I had a ball joint want to give up, but with the rcv bell taking up so much room the knuckle was trapped in place and didn't seperate. Thanks John, hey Curt :flipoff2:
Got the uppers mocked up and cut, should have the upper mounts soon.

Attachments

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
With most of the link mockup done, I moved on to the cage. I already have a good idea about what I'm doing body wise now to get a cage to match. Went back to the oldschool layout to start, hated it, just started to bend shit up till I liked it. Using exhaust pipe for mockup, 1.75 x 120wall dom for real. The cardboard gives you an idea of where the tub will sit.

Attachments

·
Registered
434 Posts
If you dont mind me asking, where did you get your clutch fork boot?? I have the same tranny behind a 351W and i cant see to locate the clutch fork boot to save my life online. Any part #s or anything?

Build looks awesome by the way. Cant go wrong with the 8.8

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've been wondering what you have been up to, i saw your backhalfed body as a drove by a few weeks ago
so much for those rocker lol

1 - 20 of 139 Posts