Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8,018 Posts
I thought it was a pretty inventive idea, especially if you are sorting alot of brass. The rollers are a solid concept, but I think the feeder could be simplified. My old roommate was an electrical engineer, with the majority of his work doing with automation. We sat and talked for hours and hours about how to build a brass sorter and never got this far. I am going to email him the link.

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
He basically built himself a case-feeder off of a Dillon reloading press, and used that to feed the machine brass.

It does seem to be the limiting factor in the process, though - it could be feeding them a lot faster. My XL650's casefeeder will run about double the RPM his does when it's on high speed.

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
He basically built himself a case-feeder off of a Dillon reloading press, and used that to feed the machine brass.

It does seem to be the limiting factor in the process, though - it could be feeding them a lot faster. My XL650's casefeeder will run about double the RPM his does when it's on high speed.
I think the problem is you run the risk of over-feeding the rollers, which would cause cases to stack up and not drop through one at a time for proper sorting.

·
I build stuff
24,247 Posts
Anyone look at his target videos?

Wow! Pretty damn cool.

I like his moon clip loader to.

I understadn the brass sorter, but did the video really need to be over 2 minutes>?

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Good idea, video too long.
Texas star with "No Shoots", meh, I shot that before. easy. Too much weight for it to really get moving. Start at the top, work your way down, done. Just got to be able to hit 6" plates, unless 6" plates scare you.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Although the Dillon case feeder may run faster the collator plate only has a fraction of the slots in it. The gear motors on the collator are DC and powered by a vairable voltage power supply.

As DRM said you have to slow the feed to keep them from stacking in the tube.

The camdex and scarch brass sorters are similar except they cost $7000+.

Here is what it looks like now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts