Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am sick and tired of the 1.3 in my 86 sami. I have the isky torquer cam, weber, exhaust, etc and even with 5.29 gears I cant get out of my own way offroad. I am looking for a mid 90's sidekick/tracker 1.6 liter to swap in. Anybody know the best place to find one complete, Im in Nor Cal and I cant find any locally.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
theyre not easy to find for a fair price. seems like specialty salvage yards are buying them all up, and alot that are readily available have wallowed out crank keyways.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
theyre not easy to find for a fair price. seems like specialty salvage yards are buying them all up, and alot that are readily available have wallowed out crank keyways.
I plan on fully rebuilding what ever I put in so replacing a crank or having it repaired is not an issue. What other options would I have? Swap in toyota engine, tranny, tcase? Or is that more work then its worth?

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
And maybe a cylinder head.

Bought my 1.6 16v for 600, 2 harnesses, 2 computers, manual, engine mounts, doug thorley header, cam, and a few more things from a member on here. Needed no rebuilding. May not hurt to shop around.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And maybe a cylinder head.

Bought my 1.6 16v for 600, 2 harnesses, 2 computers, manual, engine mounts, doug thorley header, cam, and a few more things from a member on here. Needed no rebuilding. May not hurt to shop around.
good to hear, I plan on searching for a while until I get a deal like that. I have been checking CL, and the classifieds on here, was just hoping someone would catch my post that was trying to unload one. never hurts to ask :grinpimp:

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
The yards can be very expensive, $1500 for an 8v with harness and ECU last I checked. Your best bet is just to keep watching craigslist for a complete car. If you just buy parts, getting all the extras will nickel and dime you to death. You've got to be patient though if you want a decent deal. I think it took me over a year to find what I wanted, got a '94 4 door Sidekick with a bad trans for $450. By the time I parted out what I didn't need, and sold the 1.3, I was $500 ahead. If you want it right now though, it will probably cost you. Where in northern California are you? The Pick N Pulls around Sacramento seem to get them in from time to time, getting a complete set up on a half off day wouldn't be too bad

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Your best bet is just to keep watching craigslist for a complete car.
This...(I bought mine from a guy that had wrecked it with no insurance.)

If you just buy parts, getting all the extras will nickel and dime you to death.

This...

I think it took me over a year to find what I wanted, got a '94 4 door Sidekick with a bad trans for $450. By the time I parted out what I didn't need, and sold the 1.3, I was $500 ahead.

This...I sold off everything from my '94 Sidekick donor except the trans/transfer case...I used these later for my RockRat doubler...

Your 1.3 setup like it is will be hot property for a "newb"...(I listed mine on here and sold it to a preacher from Deadwood...no $hit...a preacher...:D)

·
Registered
338 Posts
x2 on keeping your eyes open for a full set up. not a 16v but i sold 2 different 1.6 8 valve set ups full with injection, modded harness and trail tough adapters for $700 each.

I just bought a stockish samurai 16v samifrom a buddy and let me tell you it rips.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts