Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I've been out light trail and mud sloshing in some friend's rigs. Thinking I might like to get something myself. BUT, I'm not a mechanic. Can't do my own axel swap, but do understand gear ratios, lockers and such.

So how often do your rigs break on the trail, and do I NEED to be able to do trail repairs myself in order to do much off roading? I'm now in N cali.

Thanks much!

·
Registered
15 Posts
experience is the best teacher, right? The best resource would be to wheel with someone who already has experience with trail mishaps.

maybe you should invest in a service manual from the local parts store. it could help ya in a jam also..

·
Registered
17,628 Posts
You will learn, and I ALWAYS carry a haynes manual with me, in case something does happen. Ive had my share of trail breakage, but I always wheel with people, so it works out nicely.
Scott

·
Registered
825 Posts
You do not need ot be a mechanic to do anything.

All you need to do is be willing ot learn and ask for help. Hook up with a local 4wd club, there will be people there more then willing ot teach you and help you out.

I have a friend who 5-6 years ago wa snot really into cars or 4x4s and he has now built hisown rig from scratch and sets up his own gears.

Use local clubs and the internet to learn what you need.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
when I bought my first Cruiser in 1989 I'd never even changed my own oil. Now I've pretty much rebuilt everything in my rig from scratch, and all myself.

necessity is the master of invention....

·
Registered
407 Posts
I'm a programmer, that should tell you what I knew about wrenching when I started. I was intimidated by fawkin disc brakes when I started learning. Now I'm in the middle of a buildup that includes a custom EFI motor/drivetrain swap and an SAS. It's all about what you're willing to learn. I started learning because I got tired of paying a mechanic a bloody fortune and having them screw up my car. Once I had someone put the damn brake pads on backwards (metal to metal) I decided that if those trained monkeys can do it, I can do it better. Bought a Haynes manual for my car, searched on the internet, and now I can do most anything on a vehicle. I even rebuilt my first engine last year. Yes, it runs. :flipoff2:

You don't NEED to know how to do all this to enjoy wheeling. More so if you're not "hardcore". But make sure you wheel with people who at least have some idea how to wrench. Chances are, you'll get more and more into it and will end up breaking at some point. Knowing how to fix things comes in real handy when you're in the middle of nowhere. It also saves you a TON of money durring your buildup and maintence. It's worth learning. Hook up with a local club or something, I bet you can find people willing to help you learn if you want to.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Oh one other IMPORTANT thing...since you don't know how to wrench, if you rely on yer buddies to assist with problems, don't fawkin wander off and yak with yer friends and leave the helpful-free-mechanics to do all the shit...get in there and get yer hands dirty.

Knew a guy who took his dog for a walk while three other guys scrounged tools and parts to rebuild his carb....

he doesn't wheel with us anymore, sick of fixing his useless crap while he stays clean...at LEAST pass tools around and watch!!

·
Registered
722 Posts
Once I was a learner....

....and well, I'm still a learner. :flipoff2:

BUT, I just got into this about 9 months ago. I'm about as green as they come. I never cared about cars/trucks or anything else mechanical. I truly lived by the adage "drive it like you stole it".

Then I got stuck one day and something happend...

Anyway, I'm learning the mechanical side as i go. Basically, if it's an easy job (dif breathers or something) try it on your own. If it's something a little more daunting like rebuilding a transfer case (you old farts shaddap!) then get a buddy to give you a hand.

Also, this board has TONS of tech on it. You just got to be willing to search and then read the results. If you still don't understand, at least when you ask a question you'll have a better idea of how to phrase it and hopefully not get flamed. Believe it or not, I think I've impressed some of my more experienced mechanic friends with the little knowledge I've gleaned in the past few months. Thanks Pirate! :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts