Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok folks. I know I'm a newb here and I have a newb question, but I do own a 92 Cherokee and I am having a problem with my 242 t-case. So forgive me if this question isn't quite up to hardcore standards.

So..I am trying to understand how the 242 t-case shifts into 4wd when you pull the lever into part time. My 242 takes quite while to go into and get back out of 4wd. I can pull the lever into 4wd part time easily, but it takes a good while for the 4wd indicator light to light up. When going from 4wd P/T back into 2wd, the light will flicker and flash for a good while (like for 10 miles) before it finally gives up 4wd, grudgingly.

What is going on here. I made a mistake and bought 2 new tires for the back and I know the fronts are worn out causing 2 different tire diameters to be on the truck. SO I guess my question is..why do you need to be running the same tire diameter and why does everything have to be spinning at the same speed for the 4wd to engage? There is no CAD on the 92+ Jeeps so everything up front is spinning all the time, I know. So why won't my 4wd engage even though I am running 2 different diameter tires?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
The 242 Select Trac is a good t-case. I had it in a 89' XJ I later sold and currently in my dd 98' ZJ and in my 96' XJ I just got last weekend. As you know, you have 2--4 high ranges and 1 4 low with a 2 wheel drive mode. The full time is for the street and is safe to run all the time if you want/need more traction, and the part time high & low is for the rough stuff and not good to run on the street for extended periods of time. The 4 high full time is the 1 gear that the 231 doesn't have, it just has part time which shouldn't be run for extended periods of time. The full time is more of less on call and doesn't lock the f/r axles like the part time does in almost a 50/50 way. That's about all I can tell you. 231 stuff man times can relate to 242 stuff like SYE kits etc, but check 1st. Also welcome aboard and check on NAXJA.org for your XJ/MJ needs, it's a huge brotherhood and full of knowledge and experience from stock to extreme and everything in between. :D
Troy

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
you sure it's not fully engauging right off? do any tests besides the light?
could just be a bad indicator switch

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, 4wd doesn't engage until the indicator light lights up. You can tell if the Jeep is in 4wd by the effort needed to steer.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Are you the same guy with this question on NAXJA? If so, like I told you there, you need to open that sucker up, there's some internal issues.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't think there are any internal issues due to the fact that there is no grinding noises or anything else to suggest that a part has failed. When in 4wd, it operates perfectly. There is just an issue with it going in and out of 4wd.

I'll ask the question again. Perhaps I can clarify it a wee bit. Why does everything need to be rotating at the same speed for the 242 to engage? Why would tire diameter make such a huge difference as to how the t-case engages and disengages from 4wd?

Slagburn: I am indeed the fellow with the same question over in NAXJA :)

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
it's a mechanical linkage - you pull the lever and it should go into gear. Kinda like saying you shift a manual tranny into gear and it takes a while to engauge.

Shift into 4wd and try to spin your tire in the dirt.

if you don't know why the tires need to be the same size, you shouldn't have 4wd.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hvy Chevy: I do indeed know why the tires need to be the same size. I am just wondering why it affects the 242 t-case so much when trying to engage 4wd. Like you say, its a mechanical linkage. The only external problem that I can see readily with my Jeep is the fact that I run 2 old tires up front and 2 new ones out back.

I am thinking now it has to do with the central differential that the 242 has. My front end is spinning faster than the rear, so when you pull the lever into part time it has to syncronize everything in order to engage.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Mercenary said:
I don't think there are any internal issues due to the fact that there is no grinding noises or anything else to suggest that a part has failed. When in 4wd, it operates perfectly. There is just an issue with it going in and out of 4wd.
OK wizard, there are parts inside the transfer case that make it shift. They're not working right. Quit thinking and start disassembling, thinking ain't working for you. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
51 Posts
have you tried adjusting the shift linkage ? my 242 goes into 4wd drive as soon as you pull it in . now sometimes i have to backup a little to get it back into 2wd ..but not always .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts