Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Atomic Test Lab Rat
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking for a compact V8, First thoughts were LT1/LS1. The more I looked at the LS1 the more I realized they are quite expensive, even from a JY. The LT1 is much more in my price range, but the more I thought about it, there is also the vortech engines. So this gets me to my question. How do the 6.0 and 5.3 vortech engines compare to the LT1 in physical dimensions? Are they based off the same block? or are the completely different and not anywhere close in Size of the LT1? Im mostly interested in the 6.0, it seems like it could be a bored and stroked version of the LT1, but it has an aluminum block like the LS1 correct?

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
from what i have gathered there are aluminum and iron 6.0's, if weights your thing go alum but from what ive heard id go iron for dependability

·
Atomic Test Lab Rat
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
from what i have gathered there are aluminum and iron 6.0's, if weights your thing go alum but from what ive heard id go iron for dependability
Weights not a problem, the rig will have coil overs up front so Ill be able to fine tune them to what ever ends up in the engine bay.

·
Registered
8,039 Posts
3.5l v8 out of a rover, or a 62 Buick... thats compact

·
Registered
376 Posts
The LT1 and LS1 are two completely different small block GM motors. They share almost zero parts.

You could think of the LS1 as the new and improved sbc.

Physically, they fit within the same engineering specs as far as the mounting and space requirements, with the LS1 probably being somewhat more compact.

There are three versions of the 6.0L engine. The iron block truck engines, which there are two. LQ4 (1999 was iron head), and LQ9. And then the all aluminum 6.0L like in the new GTO's.

·
Atomic Test Lab Rat
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The LT1 and LS1 are two completely different small block GM motors. They share almost zero parts.

You could think of the LS1 as the new and improved sbc.

Physically, they fit within the same engineering specs as far as the mounting and space requirements, with the LS1 probably being somewhat more compact.

There are three versions of the 6.0L engine. The iron block truck engines, which there are two. LQ4 (1999 was iron head), and LQ9. And then the all aluminum 6.0L like in the new GTO's.
I know all of this, What I cant find is how the 6.0 compares in Size to the LT1/LS1.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
The LS1 and Vortec 4.8/5.3/6.0 motors are basically the same engine. The LS1(5.7)/LS2(6.0L) and 4.5/5.3/6.0 are the same size block but the LS1 are aluminum. And are about the same size as the LT1/4 Gen II engine.

The Gen III engines share almost all parts, so all parts interchange between them. You can run a car intake on a truck block to give yourself more hood clerance and run the vette oil pan or camaro as well.

Look for a truck 6.0L and you need more room swap a car intake on it cause it sits low and flow better anyway.

Gen III/IV Truck engine sizes 4.8/5.3/6.0

The LS1/2 will be shorter in height because of the lower intake manifold and shorter oil pan depth. But it's the same length and is alittle shorter because of the shorter water pump and acc. vs the Vortecs.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
LT1 and LS1 are not the same motor. LT1 is your basic small block chevy prouced from 1955 to 2000 something. A 6.0 and LS1 are the same size
The LT1/LT4 is a Gen II engine made from 1992? til 1997. Its different from a Gen I produced from 1955-200x in the fact of the reverse flow heads and different ignition system.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Im mostly interested in the 6.0, it seems like it could be a bored and stroked version of the LT1, but it has an aluminum block like the LS1 correct?
There are actually several 6.0Ls now. The Gen III iron block 6.0L are truck motors and are the LQ4(low compression) and LQ9(high compression). And compression is the only differance between the two.
The aluminum ones are Gen IV engines. The LS2 and the L76 Gen IV in the Vortecmax trucks as well as the LY6 in the new HD's.

You save about 70#-100# in weight with a aluminum block vs iron. So get a iron block 6.0L put in a storker crank be done with it!

There are stroker 4'' stroker cranks in which if you put it in a (364ci) 6.0L you get a 402ci on stock bore and 408ci 30 overbore.

Most people stroke the 6.0L but the 4'' crank will work in all Gen III engine because they share the same cranks. You could run it in a LS1 and have a 383 or in a 5.3L and get basically a 360ci

·
Atomic Test Lab Rat
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The LS1 and Vortec 4.8/5.3/6.0 motors are basically the same engine. The LS1(5.7)/LS2(6.0L) and 4.5/5.3/6.0 are the same size block but the LS1 are aluminum. And are about the same size as the LT1/4 Gen II engine.

The Gen III engines share almost all parts, so all parts interchange between them. You can run a car intake on a truck block to give yourself more hood clerance and run the vette oil pan or camaro as well.

Look for a truck 6.0L and you need more room swap a car intake on it cause it sits low and flow better anyway.

Gen III/IV Truck engine sizes 4.8/5.3/6.0

The LS1/2 will be shorter in height because of the lower intake manifold and shorter oil pan depth. But it's the same length and is alittle shorter because of the shorter water pump and acc. vs the Vortecs.
Thanks thats exactly the information I was looking for.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts