Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a trail spare fine spline bifield for a 76-78 FJ40.

I guess I can use a Toy truck birf also?? not sure on that , someone bring me up to speed?

bennett

[email protected]

·
Premium Member
8,609 Posts
You can use the truck birfs, I would recomend using them they a re a little bigger and a lot eayser to come by. You will have to do a little grinding on the inside of the knuckle to get it to fit. There were birfs for sale in the Axles,tires,Wheels section the other day.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I WAS WONDERING, IF YOU HAVE A FINE SPLINED FJ-40 CV, CAN IT BE USED IN A PINCH IF YOU HAVE DONE THE FRONT MINI DISC SWAP?

·
Premium Member
8,609 Posts
Yes the cruiser birf is smaller so there is no problem using it as a spair. If I needed spairs I would swap the cruiser birfs out for truck birfs and use the cruiser bifrs for spairs. If that makes sense? Even better get the the truck ones treated by bobby long I thing thats the only way to go birfield.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
YEH, SOME DAY IN THE DISTANT FUTURE I'LL HAVE LONG FEILDS, BUT FOR NOW, I'M CONCENTRATING ON GETTING HER RUNNING, FINISHED AND DONE, INCLUDING ALL THE LITTLE THINGS LIKE GAUGES, ECT. AND I'LL PROBOLY BE ABOUT BROKE AT THAT POINT, SO ALL AVAILIBLE CASH IS GONNA HAVE TO GO TOWARDS SPARE'S SO I'M TRAIL READY. LONGFEILDS ARE A LONG WAY OFF.

YOU KNOW, YOU WOULD THINK THERE WAS NO SUCH THING AS WHEELING TOYOTA'S BEFORE BOBBY LONG CAME AROUND. YOU GUYS ARE SPOILED WITH YOUR LONGFEILDS. STOCK CV'S JUST TAKE A LITTLE MORE FINESSE AND ALOT MORE PATIENCE ;)

HAVEING SAID THAT, I HAVE 2 SPARE COURSE SPLINED CRUISER CV'S THAT WILL SOON BE USELESS TO ME AFTER I DO MY FRONT DISC SWAP. ANYONE WILLING TO TRADE THEM FOR FINE SPLINED CRUISER CV'S SO I CAN STILL USE THEM AS SPARES? MAYBE... POSSIBLY... SOMEONE? :(

SORRY FOR THE HALF HI-JACK

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
You guys just need to remember, the longer 76-78 LC birfs will not work with Asin or Asco hubs, unless there is a version, some say exists that came with that birf. (I have never seen these hubs) The longer will not let the dial section of the hub go on.
Butch

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm running warn hubs.... so I will be OK using mini truck birfs?

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I totally agree with USFSIHC, run Asins if at all possible and use mini truck birfs.
The Asin hubs are literally bullet proof and being a mini truck part you can find them all over the place.

I've seen the aluminum Warn hubs explode like a frickin grenade, keep those for paper wieghts or sell them on Ebay :D

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
There are aisin hubs that work with the 76-78 l/c birfs. I have a set on my FJ55. The body of the hub is about .25" taller. Look identical to the mini truck aisins but are longer.

-Brett

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
Or, you can do what I did when I was BROKE(as in: no money): I carried a coarse spline birf and its matching coarse spline hub with me...

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
I got a fine spline mini truck birfield. Also, have one from a FJ40 too. Hit me offline if you need one.

Charles

1 - 13 of 13 Posts