Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Baconologyst
9,972 Posts
We just replaced a ten year old (+/-) charbroil infra red grill. They finally discontinued the parts I needed to rebuild it for the third time.

We went back to Weber, we got a Genesis II E-315, full cabinet version of Alpine4x4’s grill. It has just what I need, and a ten year warranty :D

·
Registered
7,964 Posts
I never understood why people spent the money for Weber's until a friend gave us their old one. 2 years later we bought a new Spirit. I'm a fan
They're solid. If anything ever rusts/breaks/needs to be replaced, parts are cheap and easy to find as well. I picked up a barely used genesis on CL for $200 a couple years back. Been real happy with it.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
We had a Char broil with inferred. My wife loves inferred, but the burners got burned up in a few years. The whole thing got smashed in the hurricane. We looked at a lot grills and bought a "Mr Steak". It has very heavy duty burners and grates. (And inferred) The grates are 3/8" solid stainless. It works good, but we've only used it four times.

Right after we bought it, I saw a grill in Tractor Supply that was completely stainless. I don't know if it is good, but A lot of grills have some stainless and some regular steel painted to look like stainless.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
We had a Char broil with inferred. My wife loves inferred, but the burners got burned up in a few years. The whole thing got smashed in the hurricane. We looked at a lot grills and bought a "Mr Steak". It has very heavy duty burners and grates. (And inferred) The grates are 3/8" solid stainless. It works good, but we've only used it four times.

Right after we bought it, I saw a grill in Tractor Supply that was completely stainless. I don't know if it is good, but A lot of grills have some stainless and some regular steel painted to look like stainless.
What precisely are you inferring here? :confused:

·
Registered
24,653 Posts
Stainless is a joke for grilling, you want cast iron for the burners and grates. I had a Kennmore I think for 12 years that had porcelain burners and I replaced them a few times, but by the 4th time they no longer sold anything to replace them. The grill itself was still solid. Since then (13 years) I have went through three grills. My latest is stored in my garage in hopes it lasts a good while.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
What precisely are you inferring here? :confused:
I know nothing about cooking. But I like things that don't rust.

Stainless is a joke for grilling, you want cast iron for the burners and grates. I had a Kennmore I think for 12 years that had porcelain burners and I replaced them a few times, but by the 4th time they no longer sold anything to replace them. The grill itself was still solid. Since then (13 years) I have went through three grills. My latest is stored in my garage in hopes it lasts a good while.
Why is stainless a joke?

·
Registered
24,653 Posts
Once cast iron is seasoned and cooked on, it doesn't rust and food doesn't stick to it like pretty shiny stainless.

·
Registered
152 Posts
CL and FB are lousy with used Webers that are cheap and dead simple to refurbish. The older models are dirt cheap and better quality, unless you're stuck on infra-red or bluetooth connectivity or you like the newer styling.

I picked up a 90's model Genesis Platinum ($1200 new) for $65 last spring, cleaned it up and put new grates and burner tubes in it and I fully expect it will outlive me. It cooks real nice too.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts