Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
34,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Moderators: feel free to move if this is the wrong forum...

My chop saw smoked itself today... Rather than buy another, I'm thinking of getting a band saw. I'm just starting the search.

Any recommendations for brands, stores or price range???

I have experience with the low-end Central Tools unit from Harbor Freight... so please don't recommend that.... :flipoff2:

Thanks!
bkg

·
Registered
34,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ironpig70 said:
grizzly tools had one i liked a 4x6 cuts 4 1/2 round or 4x6 rectangle model g1010 cost $199.95 shipping was $55 www.grizzly.com
I have that saw already.... But no matter what I do, the blad will not stay on the guides - as soon as it touches steel, it pops off....

Was thinking a higher end unit might prove a better solution. ???

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
i use the 1500 model which is big enough for virtually all general fab work-3/4" blade. this is a lifetime tool and worth every penny. they also sell the bimetal blades which are reasonable and last a long time cutting A36 grade steel. call them direct-if there is not a distributor near you they should discount. this tool will increase the speed, accuracy, and appearance of just about any kind of fab work.

·
Registered
4,532 Posts
Stephenw said:
Yeah....I know you said don't recommend the HF one, but I'm going to anyway.

$199.95, and free shipping.

It's junk out the box, but can be made into a good tool with just a little bit of effort. There are a lot of websites about upgrading this saw.

Here's one:

http://www.mini-lathe.com/Bandsaw/Bandsaw.htm
he said he already has that one, so why recommend it???

my bro-in-law just got a nice new Jet(sp?) after looking at a lot of different ones for his machine shop...make sure the one you get has povisions for coolant...

·
Registered
34,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Stephenw said:
Yeah....I know you said don't recommend the HF one, but I'm going to anyway.
Thanks for the tip on the mods! I already have this exact saw, but the f'n thing throws a blade if you even mention steel... :mad: I'll check out some of the mods and see if I can get them to work for me!

Thanks again!
bkg

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
61,972 Posts
I have a porta-band saw, and a chop saw, and I would not give up the chop saw for anything. How about you just buy another one?

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
All the band saw I have used have been old school, picked up at a garage sale, types and have kicked ass. A guy in my club has one that he got off some farm, it must be 40 years old, works sweet, slow, but sweet.

When/If I need one I am going garage sale/estate sale/auction shopping to find an old one. The newer inexpensive ones just don't seem to hold up.

·
Registered
519 Posts

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I'd stay away from the coolant personally, especailly for a home fabber. We don't use coolant at the shop, just a stick of some sort of rub on lube (can't remember the name right now). Our blades last a long time and we cut all sorts of different steel, but mostly higher grade machine steels.

Easy

·
Registered
34,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
DRM said:
I have a porta-band saw, and a chop saw, and I would not give up the chop saw for anything. How about you just buy another one?
I may... But the two things I hate about the chop saws are 1. mess and 2. INACCURATE!

Maybe it's just my (now dead... RIP) saw, but i couldn't cut a perfectly straight (perpendicular) cut with that to save my life. Band saw should be more accurate, easier and less mess.... That's my thought anyway....

·
Registered
34,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
EasyXJ said:
I'd stay away from the coolant personally, especailly for a home fabber. We don't use coolant at the shop, just a stick of some sort of rub on lube (can't remember the name right now). Our blades last a long time and we cut all sorts of different steel, but mostly higher grade machine steels.

Easy
Easy,

if you get a chance, could you post the name of the product later??? THANKS!

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
I picked up a couple-of-decades-old Kalamazoo 9"X12" from a used tool depot near me for $350 and love it. Check to see if there are any near you. It seems that as long as the motors are OK you should be fine.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.