Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
34,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Moderators: feel free to move if this is the wrong forum...

My chop saw smoked itself today... Rather than buy another, I'm thinking of getting a band saw. I'm just starting the search.

Any recommendations for brands, stores or price range???

I have experience with the low-end Central Tools unit from Harbor Freight... so please don't recommend that.... :flipoff2:

Thanks!
bkg

·
Registered
446 Posts
cant help you much deciding which one to get, but when you do, you ought to search for it using this
www.toolseeker.com
it finds the lowest prices avail online for what you need.
i bought a makita chop saw using it.
~John

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
ellis manufacturing, verona, wisconsin. radial bandsaw-you'll love it. also dc drill press-get one of those while you're at it.

·
Registered
34,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ironpig70 said:
grizzly tools had one i liked a 4x6 cuts 4 1/2 round or 4x6 rectangle model g1010 cost $199.95 shipping was $55 www.grizzly.com
I have that saw already.... But no matter what I do, the blad will not stay on the guides - as soon as it touches steel, it pops off....

Was thinking a higher end unit might prove a better solution. ???

·
Registered
34,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jdrocks said:
ellis manufacturing, verona, wisconsin. radial bandsaw-you'll love it. also dc drill press-get one of those while you're at it.
Very nice.... I'm afraid to ask how much! :( :confused:

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
i use the 1500 model which is big enough for virtually all general fab work-3/4" blade. this is a lifetime tool and worth every penny. they also sell the bimetal blades which are reasonable and last a long time cutting A36 grade steel. call them direct-if there is not a distributor near you they should discount. this tool will increase the speed, accuracy, and appearance of just about any kind of fab work.

·
Registered
4,532 Posts
Stephenw said:
Yeah....I know you said don't recommend the HF one, but I'm going to anyway.

$199.95, and free shipping.

It's junk out the box, but can be made into a good tool with just a little bit of effort. There are a lot of websites about upgrading this saw.

Here's one:

http://www.mini-lathe.com/Bandsaw/Bandsaw.htm
he said he already has that one, so why recommend it???

my bro-in-law just got a nice new Jet(sp?) after looking at a lot of different ones for his machine shop...make sure the one you get has povisions for coolant...

·
Registered
34,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Stephenw said:
Yeah....I know you said don't recommend the HF one, but I'm going to anyway.
Thanks for the tip on the mods! I already have this exact saw, but the f'n thing throws a blade if you even mention steel... :mad: I'll check out some of the mods and see if I can get them to work for me!

Thanks again!
bkg

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
I have a porta-band saw, and a chop saw, and I would not give up the chop saw for anything. How about you just buy another one?

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
All the band saw I have used have been old school, picked up at a garage sale, types and have kicked ass. A guy in my club has one that he got off some farm, it must be 40 years old, works sweet, slow, but sweet.

When/If I need one I am going garage sale/estate sale/auction shopping to find an old one. The newer inexpensive ones just don't seem to hold up.

·
Registered
519 Posts

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I'd stay away from the coolant personally, especailly for a home fabber. We don't use coolant at the shop, just a stick of some sort of rub on lube (can't remember the name right now). Our blades last a long time and we cut all sorts of different steel, but mostly higher grade machine steels.

Easy

·
Registered
34,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
DRM said:
I have a porta-band saw, and a chop saw, and I would not give up the chop saw for anything. How about you just buy another one?
I may... But the two things I hate about the chop saws are 1. mess and 2. INACCURATE!

Maybe it's just my (now dead... RIP) saw, but i couldn't cut a perfectly straight (perpendicular) cut with that to save my life. Band saw should be more accurate, easier and less mess.... That's my thought anyway....

·
Registered
34,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
EasyXJ said:
I'd stay away from the coolant personally, especailly for a home fabber. We don't use coolant at the shop, just a stick of some sort of rub on lube (can't remember the name right now). Our blades last a long time and we cut all sorts of different steel, but mostly higher grade machine steels.

Easy
Easy,

if you get a chance, could you post the name of the product later??? THANKS!

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
I picked up a couple-of-decades-old Kalamazoo 9"X12" from a used tool depot near me for $350 and love it. Check to see if there are any near you. It seems that as long as the motors are OK you should be fine.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts