Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you bring a vehicle to a scrap yard with out the title? I've found a cheap waggy w/o a title to score some axles off of, but it's not gonna do me much good to have a hunk of wagoneer sitting in the back yard.

·
thhhpptthh!
46,718 Posts
yup..need a title

or cut it up in little pieces and take it to the dump. ;)

·
Premium Member
17,818 Posts
around here All you have to do is pull the vin tag off the dash and give it to them when you scrap it.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Here they dont really care as long as it is in 4 or more pieces.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Here you also need a title unless you have a special "Salvage" permit which isn't worth the $$ to worry about doing. I took a torch to an old POS one time and had no problem getting rid of it.

·
Registered
488 Posts
we junk cars all the time w/o title just fill out the junk slip and call it good thou it must have a vin tag , we never had a prob w/o, you just gotta make sure that nobody is going to reprot it stolen, so it helps to keep your bill of sale just in case,
joe

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I junked a VW beetle in Illinois before...I just cut it in half and they had no problem.
Here in Colorado, though, it's a little different (At lease where I live). I have to have the sheriff run a vin check and bring the results to the yard. If everythings ok, they'll take it. All the police are looking for is if it's stolen or there are still liens on the car.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I hauled one in today.
First problem is finding a yard that will take an older car (mine was an 89) that already has most valuable parts stripped off.
None of the ones in the phone book would take mine, but one of them referred me to a small yard in a neighboring town.
Guy was nice as hell and took it no questions asked. Didn't care less about a VIN or anything.
He told me he gets $2 per hundred lbs when he turns them in to be crushed, so there's not much money in it, especially with the motor and front end out of it :flipoff2:
That's North Carolina :grinpimp:

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
I scrapped one about 2 yrs. ago here and they told me that as long as it was a pre 1995 model year, I didn't need a title. I took it to the recycler though... not a salvage yard. Their only requirement was that the gas tank was removed.

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
I took the old chevy in with scrap in the bed. only rule was no tires. Hell I could have had a body in there and nobody would have known :evil: . They weighed my trailer pulled the rig off threw it straight into the crusher. Weighed again and I got enough money for two cases of beer. :D

Dan

·
Registered
974 Posts
Here in South Texas you just have to cut it up so that it doesnt resemble a full car, just pieces of one. Ive scrapped at least 10 vehicles in the last 2 years that did not have titles. Just cut it up and try it, if it doesnt work start slowly loading it into the dumpster at work.

Paul

·
Registered
979 Posts
Balsax said:
I junked a VW beetle in Illinois before...I just cut it in half and they had no problem.
Here in Colorado, though, it's a little different (At lease where I live). I have to have the sheriff run a vin check and bring the results to the yard. If everythings ok, they'll take it. All the police are looking for is if it's stolen or there are still liens on the car.
Huh- my part of Colorado (Ft Collins) the yard doesn't give a hoot. They just unload from the trailer like any other steel and off ya go. Maybe it's just that one yard, it's where all my old rigs go to die.

·
Premium Member
1,671 Posts
The metal shredder I use here in ohio only say if no title then engine must be removed it can be in the bed or trunk just not in engine bay I haul many cars there evry year and ussually its no problem but 3 years ago they didn't ask any questions you pulled in weighed unloaded weighed and got your money ussually somewhere between 40 and 80 per ton

·
Registered
584 Posts
Here in wisconsin, I take my junk cars/trucks with no tilte to a small town junk yard, he dont give a rats ass, otherwise it gets cut up and put behind my dumpster for the scrap collectors.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
If i have to get rid of a whole car in a hurry there's a scrapper taht doesn't care so long as there are no tires and no gas tank.

Try to find a palce where the car goes straight off of your trailer right into the shredder. That way they don't have to worry about inspectors and title-less cars hanging around. If you have time, just cut the car up and say it's scrap from doing body work or frame repair. Just say the truck was rolled so you got a body to put on, but when you pulled teh body off you found out teh frame was bent so you replaced it at teh smae time also :D (only if they ask).

When all else fails, cut it into pieces small enough to go in teh trash.

Justin

·
Registered
584 Posts
JeffsJeep04 said:
Where in WI are you? I was thinking about going to Toy's scrap and just bring it in as scrap metal.
About 35 min north of Milwaukee, near Cedarburg.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts