Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know im duel posting but I need an answer .
My New Daily driver Suzuki samuri 1988 (dont ask) isnt getting driven very much yet due to some unforseen technical difficulties.

I did search and found some good info but I stupid I guess. I cant get it to work.

I was hoping someone may have this knowledge socked away in their head.

I removed the rear bumper and cut off some excess steel from the rear of the zuk and I am in the process of making a new bumper and relocating the tailights into the tailgate. The old tailights were toast..

On the drivers side is 4 wires . I got the wire color codes from a zuk schematic

1. red with blue stripe = tail/stop
2. green with white stripe= tail /stop
3. Red solid= backup
4. Green with red stripe= rear turn

passenger side four wires

1. red with green stripe= tail/stop
2. green with white stripe=tail/stop
3.solid red = backup
4. green with yellow stripe. = rear turn

Question is

How DO I wire these to work with the two wire tailights I got at walmart??

New Lights Have two wires
Brown = Taillight
Red =stop and turn
Ground through the Mount

Comon Guys I want to quit driving the Gas hungry suburban to work

·
Registered
771 Posts
ahh finally something I know about.......;)

get on down to your local trailer supply store or u-haul dealer and they sell a converter box that makes the "import" wires( ie: seperate turn and stop lights ) look like the "American" wires ( ie: dual filament bulbs or 1157's )

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK thank you My New found friend. POR never fails me .

So this will make it all better?
If It does
You are a fine man and a scholar . If your ever in this fine neck of the woods youll be welcome to come over and screw my sister and eat my food. :)

Ill check out the local uhaul or TSC and see if they have that part.

·
Registered
182 Posts
AIRZUKI said:
ahh finally something I know about.......;)

get on down to your local trailer supply store or u-haul dealer and they sell a converter box that makes the "import" wires( ie: seperate turn and stop lights ) look like the "American" wires ( ie: dual filament bulbs or 1157's )
You definately need the converter box.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Either the converter box or diodes to isolate the signals before going into the lights.

You would wire a doide to each stop/turn wire with the stripe facing the bulb, and then combine the ends of the 2 diodes to then feed into the stop/turn bulb wire. the running lights would be wired like normal. Make sure you ahve a good ground for each light. The back up lights are thier own separae circuit...no diodes needed here either.
example of diodes needed are 1N4005 from radio shack.
You should also pick up some heat shrink or whatever you want to use to weatherproof the setup.

Its cheaper than the converter box, but does exactly the same thing. The only difference is that ther will be a slight voltage drop across the diodes (.7V or less)
Scott

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
one more Zuk wiring Qs.

I have a dim headlight. I put in a new one and still dimm. Power to light is Ok its just dimm.

Is this a ground Issue?

·
Registered
801 Posts
As for the headlight, it is probably a ground.
Other things to check if it is not...
Does the wire feeding it get hot? if yes, ther is too much resistance in the wire (frayed, corroded, etc) and you are losing the voltage there.
Is it controlled by a relay? is it corroded?

Time to troubleshoot!

Good luck with the box or doides. Buy yourself a decent VOM (meter) if you dont already have one. You will eventually need it.

Scott

1 - 9 of 9 Posts