Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't really know much anymore about bikes. I currently ride a 96 Trek 8000 witth an old SID fork, full XTR components and some mavic wheels. The bike is just beat, the last round of components and shocks were installed around 01 so they're pretty hammered as is the frame. I like the feel of the hard tail, and i do a lot of cross country style riding. I enjoy climbing a LOT and average about 10 miles a ride and around 2,000 vertical feet. I ride 3-5 times a week and compete in the mens sport division.

I looked at a santa cruz "blur" a year or so ago and really liked it. I'd like to get the bike used, and i for sure want full susp along with disk brakes. I've been thinking about cable disk vs the hydrolic due to simplicity. I wreck a lot and don't need to worry about blowing out a line and not having brakes for the rest of the ride cause i lost fluid. Any ideas on what bikes i should look at and where's a good place to get used "race" style mountain bikes?

Wally

·
Registered
300 Posts
My budy rides a Blur and loves it.
I would try to find a used bike close to you. Shipping bikes is a pain in the butt and not all people are good at it. Try your local Craig's list, bike shp bulitin boards, used bike shops in your area, etc..
Also Santa Cruz does sell slightly blemished frames for less if you want to build something up. They don't advertise them so you would have to call them direct and ask about it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I looked at a santa cruz "blur" a year or so ago and really liked it
These are great bikes! Blur review on MTBR

Any ideas on what bikes i should look at..
Here is a short list of others in the "blur" price range. Most of the below list is available in a variety of price ranges depending on component selection.

Proabably my Favorite.. Ellsworth Truth

Honorable Mentions and more than likely the most raced bikes at any XC MTB race - and for good reason.

Specialized Epic (comp/marathon/etc.. dep. on budget)

Trek Fuel 80/95/100

Giant NRS air or NRS 1/2/or 3

If you want something a little le$$ common: $$ Ventana X-5 or El Saltamontes $$

I only listed a few, there is a lot more great bikes out there. Really depends on your riding style, terrain, and budget..

..and where's a good place to get used "race" style mountain bikes?
Uh.. ebay. Test ride at local bike shop for fit first.

Check local bike shops for "demos", sometimes they will have deals on last years demo bikes. Also MTBR classifieds.

·
Registered
204 Posts
A good lightweight bike for a very reasonable price is the Jamis Dakar. I've always put in a good word for Jamis because they sponsor and supply many of our junior riders down here.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I'ts all about the suspension design. I am a big believer in the VPP and the Horst 4 Bar suspensions systems. Any of the simple monolink designs will have a lot of energy loss due to pedal induced bob. (not to mention that they feel like poo) I know that the new shocks out there virtually eliminate the bob, but the energy loss is still there, as well as the lengthening of the chainline.

I have always liked the Specialized bikes and how they ride, in the last few years I've grown fond of the Santa Cruz bikes too. Trek and Fisher make some nice rigs now too, with efficient designs.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Any suspension design is going to bob some and has chaingrowth issues (unless it has a concentric BB pivot), I don't care what it is. I wouldn't let all the horst/VPP hype get to you. With shorter travel bikes (<4") most FS bikes will feel similar. The main "upside" to a horst bike is reduced brake jack on downhills. With short travel XC bikes brake jack won't be much of an issue. VPP is better for climbing because it stiffens up when being torqued on. With todays platform shocks most any XC bike won't really bob that much. Every suspension design has its pros and cons, but most of these aren't pronounced enough with XC bikes to make a descision based on them. In longer travel bikes is where it really makes a difference.

I say ride all kinds of bikes, find what fits you best and what feels comfortable. Don't buy into all the hype and get a model that fits you crappy because of its whoop dee doo whistle and bells features. I ride a Kona Kikapu and it's a great bike, simple time tested design.

I'd look for a good LBS to start with. I'd buy a bike at a shop if it was me, used or not. A good LBS will take care of you if you buy from them.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I ride an NRS and can vouch for those. I upgraded the rear shock and swing arm for more travel and a better feel on the DH. Great upgrades. In stock form, the NRS is built for racing. I also race on it and it has held up well. My first NRS frame lasted three years of heavy XC riding/racing (no big drops) and the new frame is 2+ years old and going strong.

·
Registered
67 Posts
My spare bike is an 03 Yeti AS-X full suspension. If you liked the Blur you would love an AS-X. Come to think of it, I could probably sell it since I will be needing the space in my garage for the buggy. PM me if interested and I will shoot you details and images.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Not to be a hijacker or anything, but did you buy a bike yet and does anyone else here ride a Santa Cruz and if so what do you think about the Heckler?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts