Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of building a '94 YJ and I need some advice on what to do about my steering.

Heres what I have... '94 YJ, '99 Vortec 4.8, TH350, Dana 300, 14 bolt in the rear, dana 60 up front. I'm doing 1/4 elliptic in the rear and 16" Sway-a-way coilovers up front. Running 39" Boggers

It WILL be driven on the street occasionaly - i will be running currie antirock sway bars front and rear so it wont drive like a slinky.

Should I run hydro assist? Pros and Cons
I will still need to have a draglink... It would limit front end flex - heim joints don't have enough misalignment for extreme angles - Can't steer too well when the front end is twisted up (drag link) Its street safe, don't have to worry about busting hydraulic lines and dying- I can't move the axle too far forward ---what else?

Should I run Full Hydraulic? Pros and Cons
Bad A$$!! Wont limit flex - Can move the axle wherever I want - I can turn the tires no matter what - I may die because a hose busts loose while I drive down the road - no steering due to pump failure - If engine dies, will I be able to move the tires? - There wont be any death wobble. I don't care if it not street legal. what else?

Some say full hydro drives like sh!t on the road... i have driven a hydro setup and it is fine with me... no big deal..

Let me know your opinions!! Will the full hydro be safe?

Thanks,

David
www.homebuiltjeep.com

·
Registered
891 Posts
If you ever drive it on the road at all you better go assist, kinda life and death not just for you but others, if your motor dies on the trail not having steering will hurt you trying to get winched out of the way.

I would so a good assist system for anything other that comps.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is the only reason I don't have it installed right now...

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to setup my steering using a draglink? How can I keep the heims' from binding up?

Thanks,

David
www.homebuiltjeep.com

·
thhhpptthh!
46,718 Posts
do a search with the keywords hydro safe .. this has been argued non stop ;)

I just installed full hydro on my rig, it does see some street use. (MAYBEE 5 miles every 6 months).

I will say that pavement characteristics are quircky but not unlivable. You have had time in a rig with hydro on the pavement so you know waht to expect.

My system DOES turn with no power to the pump, but let me tell you. Running slugs, no hubs, with that front end engaged all the time, and no power to the pump, getting towed 100yds across a parking lot to the gas station SUCKS! that thing DOES NOT like to turn. IS it doable, yes, would i recomend it , no. would i highly discourage it, hell yes. But it does turn and is steerable with no power.

If you are worried or even just want to know how bad it is. Get the rig you have driven before and pull the belt off of it and go for a short spin to determine if you can hang or not.

full-hydro kicks ass! :D:D

Attachments

·
Registered
657 Posts
Why not turn the heims 90 degrees (all it take is some imagination! :flipoff2: :rolleyes: )

As for the rest of the reasons not to to full hydro most are bunk - I still would not recommend it on the steet at all - not from a safety aspect but because you will get your ass sued straight to the poor house and you insurance company will disown you IF something ever did happen (read getting hit by someone else)

With the proper valve you will have return to center; road feel; and steering with no pump...

The only failure point would be a hose or orbital valve failure... (blow out or binding)

I would go ram assist and if you want to push the axle foward just move the steering box - turn the pitman arm 180 degrees and move the box toward the rear if you don't have enough frame rail to keep pushing it foward...

I run a triangulated 3 link and have no binding or bumpsteer issues at all...

My vote is ram assist - go look up Matt Hodges - (thelakerat) of West Texas Offroad - legal and works great

Matt

Orient the heims like this -

·
Registered
393 Posts
want did wanderingwillys use to mount the draglink to the pitman arm and still let it swivel( i'm not talk about the heim).thanks

·
Registered
167 Posts
What you really need to do is buy some really great stuff for the CTO of your company. He is very worried that your Jeep may turn out nicer than his!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Full Hydro, why not? I installed a orbital that I purchased from WMS (thanks Casey) little expensive compared to forklift orbitals, but there is a difference. My rig drives down the road at 60mph+ and I drives now just as well as it did with stock steering (Granted I had already modified a ton of other shit and nothing drives like stock, but it is very steetable)

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
i love my full hydraulic steering but my rig see very little pavement. if you plan to drive on the street much i would not recomend it.

·
Registered
9,338 Posts
I'm afraid to run full hydro because I plan to drive to the 'Con once in a while. I don't want a line breaking/getting puncture/whatever and WEEE I go off the hill on Ice House Road. :eek:

·
Registered
753 Posts
Jason R said:
I'm afraid to run full hydro because I plan to drive to the 'Con once in a while. I don't want a line breaking/getting puncture/whatever and WEEE I go off the hill on Ice House Road. :eek:
How many times have your rubber brake lines busted and you went WEEE off the hill???

I've run full hydro for about a year now....

An orbital valve will move fluid without a pump turning....
It just takes alot more effort...

For those in the Southeast and are familiar with Wheelin-in-the-Country in Summertown, TN... I've done 3/4 of "The Tunnel" without a power steering belt..., then drove back to the shop

I've been towed about 8 miles of trail and gravel road, with a dead engine (ripped motor mount resulting in ripped oil filter), it wasn't any worse than being towed with a normal power steering setup and no engine....

·
Registered
190 Posts
Power steering

What is it with people who think that if you have power steering and the motor dies, you have no control. That would be real safe. So if you run out of gas on the road, then you have no steering - yea right. The steering functions do not die, you simply loose the power part of the steering. Since PS boxes normally have a higher ration such a 4 turn lock to lock, it will be hard to steer. But rest assured, you do have steering. As for power assist. That would depend alot on tires. The power assist takes all of the strain off of the frame and places the push pull forces on the axle housing. Power steering is great, but with larger tires you can turn the steering wheel and watch the forces acting on the steering box and its mount to the frame.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts