Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do yall think of the Spikes Tactical SL-15 Lower Receiver? I am new to this and cant find much info on them. I can get a pretty good deal (I think) on a lower receiver just want to make sure it is not junk.

·
Premium Member
17,873 Posts
Retailers aren't big fans, but thats a whole other issue than quality.

·
Registered
6,962 Posts
Most Lowers are created equal. If it's a good enough deal go for it. I haven't had any issues with the Spike's lower I have.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
A search of this forum yielded 81 results for Spikes. A google search would probably yield thousands of hits. Spikes Tactical was one of the first to jack up prices to ridiculous heights right after the anointed one's election. :mad3:
I will never own anything from them.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A search of this forum yielded 81 results for Spikes. A google search would probably yield thousands of hits. Spikes Tactical was one of the first to jack up prices to ridiculous heights right after the anointed one's election. :mad3:
I will never own anything from them.
I searched Spikes tactical on this board and returned 25 hits, sorry.

Thanks every one else for the opinions.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I searched Spikes tactical on this board and returned 25 hits, sorry.

Thanks every one else for the opinions.
My response probably came across the wrong way. Just trying to say that there is a lot of info out there. In general, a lower is a lower is a lower. They are all pretty much the same except for the roll mark. Since there are any number of lowers out there now that can be had cheap, I can't recommend Spike's based on their business practices. If you have a line on one for cheap, then go for it. Otherwise, watch on here for a month or so and you'll probably see a link for a good deal. I thought I had done fairly well on my lowers prior to the '08 election, but I've seen a bunch here recently for less than half what I paid. I have lowers from CMMG, Doublestar, and Essential Arms and other than the roll marks, I can't tell the difference between them.

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
A couple months ago you could have ordered Spikes lowers for $89 all day long. You could have also grabbed up a Sharps lower for $55 as well as a bunch of other lowers from $60-90 each all day long.

I chose to pay a bit more to buy from someone I trust, knowing that he would help out picking out just what I was looking for. Sometimes it's not about the bottom dollar.

Give Pete (aloharover) a holler here on the board, he takes care of all us PBB OSR members. Worth every penny and then some.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Pete worked with me and my goofy work schedule well to get my Rock River lower sent up to me and figured out. It's helpful to have someone willing to find a way to get a product to you. In the case of brand, the only reason I went with Rock River is because how I used to work by their shop. If that hadn't been the case then any cheap reputable lower would have been my choice.

·
I build stuff
24,247 Posts
My only complaint about Spike is that the week after the election they raised their prices from 120 to 175$.
They did this to dealers that had placed their orders before the election.
They claimed it was out of their hands/control.
So they are selling/shipping all of these receivers, and then all of a sudden they drop their retail price to 80$. So now you have a bunch of retailers stuck holding receivers that cost twice as much as the mfg is selling them for.

If you find something less expensive then what I carry, then buy it. A lower is a lower.

·
Premium Member
17,873 Posts
My only complaint about Spike is that the week after the election they raised their prices from 120 to 175$.
They did this to dealers that had placed their orders before the election.
They claimed it was out of their hands/control.
So they are selling/shipping all of these receivers, and then all of a sudden they drop their retail price to 80$. So now you have a bunch of retailers stuck holding receivers that cost twice as much as the mfg is selling them for.

If you find something less expensive then what I carry, then buy it. A lower is a lower.
This is why many retailers will no longer sell Spikes stuff. Not about their quality, rather the jacking of prices. Some dealer took thousands of dollars in that hit, and some STILL have lowers because they can't sell them for what they bought them for.

·
I'm not your buddeh
13,084 Posts
honestly, as long at it isnt plastic, its hard to go wrong with an aluminum lower reciever.

I would be more concerned with the barrel and upper receiver than anything else.

·
Registered
9,864 Posts
I live four miles from Spike's.

I heard about their business practices after I'd purchased my lower. I'm ambivilant about it because I've never built an AR and didn't know about the "issues" before but all the same, I wish I'd have just called Pete to get my stuff.

·
I build stuff
24,247 Posts
You got a nice lower, and if purchased recently, a great price. No heart ache there at all.

For a new shopper, I would recommend another similar priced lower

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
I'm going to admit that I did buy a Spikes product knowing thier buisnes practices. They make a propriatary buffer called the ST-T2 that is filled with a tungsten powder instead of the tungsten and aluminum pucks. Supposedly it is a great recoil reducer that works under the same principals as a dead blow hammer that is filled with powder. Instead of a series of pucks sliding back and forth the powder is a more fluid movement. Haven't tested it yet as I have some more mods to make during my lower build, but I'll post a review once I do. Hopes are high.

Other than that one part, I'm steering clear of them just because of their practices. Being the only company producing a part makes it hard to go with someone else.

From reviews, Spikes makes high quality stuff, it's just the bullshit that came about after the election that you have to be aware of.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts