Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a search & nothing turned up I needed... does anyone have any pics of a lifted 73-91 GM crew cab duallie they can post? I've seen a bunch of them lifted, but my wife hasnt, and needs to get an idea of what I'm going to do... I'm working a deal to swap my Burb for a lifted Crew and the seller has no way of e-mailing, so until they show up in the USPS mail, I want to give her an idea of what they look like lifted. Anything decent will help guys.. thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The SRW is really what the wife would prefer, but dually's are whats available and what I have a deal working on right now... I appreciate the pic & offer, but really looking for dually stuff. Thanks guys... anyone else with dually pics?

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
RocKrawler said:
The SRW is really what the wife would prefer, but dually's are whats available and what I have a deal working on right now... I appreciate the pic & offer, but really looking for dually stuff. Thanks guys... anyone else with dually pics?
Have you spent much time in a Dually? I've owned two of them and they're a PITA for daily driving. The big rig trucks I drive are easier than a dually as the front is as wide as the drivers on a big rig. With a Dually it's the rear fenders sticking out in the back only you don't have a refence in the front to the width in the back. I bought the last one as I couldn't find a SRW that I wanted at the time. To do it over again I'd have waited and found a SRW truck instead.

·
Registered
173 Posts
70~K5

Thats funny. I have a dually. This is my 3rd one and I just orderd a new one. I been driving them since I was 19. Thay all are crew cab 4x4. My wife is 5'1" tall and she prefers to drive my 99 crew dually every day instead of her camero. And my mom drives a 2002 craw dually. And we live in a fairly big city. So apperently you cant drive or your just a weenie. If you cant drive it because the rear is wider than the front than you shouldnt be rockcrawling either. Im not trying to be a ass just making a point.

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We sold our 2001 Ford Super Duty Crew Cab Dually, and it was the wifes. Reason for selling is the $716 payment and V-Turd engine. If it was a Powerstroke you'd have had to pry it from my cold, dead fingers... but the V-10 was nothing to let go. We decided to simplify and go with something paid for to save for a house downpayment, a smart move in this economy. She just cant picture the older bodystyle in a 4WD & lifted, she has never seen one. I have seen plenty from my years at managing various shops. I just want her to get an idea of what they look like... so we need PICS PLEASE! C'mon guys.. someone's gotta have some to post. :D

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Re: 70~K5

TEAM X-TREME said:
Thats funny. I have a dually. This is my 3rd one and I just orderd a new one. I been driving them since I was 19. Thay all are crew cab 4x4. My wife is 5'1" tall and she prefers to drive my 99 crew dually every day instead of her camero. And my mom drives a 2002 craw dually. And we live in a fairly big city. So apperently you cant drive or your just a weenie. If you cant drive it because the rear is wider than the front than you shouldnt be rockcrawling either. Im not trying to be a ass just making a point.
Well lets see here, From '73 to '77 while in the army I drove everything from M151A1s to 5 ton wreckers. From '77 to now I've been driving 2 axle bobtails to triple trailer rigs. I can back up a set of double trailers hooked up. So I guess I'm just a weenie but a Dually pickup is not as easy to drive as my 3 axle ten wheel dump truck. My wife drove my '72 K20 pu for a while and since then doesn't like to drive a car cause of the better view from a truck. But she hates to drive my dually. And finding a place to park a extra long truck at the store sucks around here too.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Re: 70~K5

TEAM X-TREME said:
If you cant drive it because the rear is wider than the front than you shouldnt be rockcrawling either. Im not trying to be a ass just making a point.
OOO and the rear axle on your rockcrawler is 1.5' wider than the front of your crawler??? This I got to see.:flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
RocKrawler said:
We sold our 2001 Ford Super Duty Crew Cab Dually, and it was the wifes. Reason for selling is the $716 payment and V-Turd engine. If it was a Powerstroke you'd have had to pry it from my cold, dead fingers... but the V-10 was nothing to let go. We decided to simplify and go with something paid for to save for a house downpayment, a smart move in this economy. She just cant picture the older bodystyle in a 4WD & lifted, she has never seen one. I have seen plenty from my years at managing various shops. I just want her to get an idea of what they look like... so we need PICS PLEASE! C'mon guys.. someone's gotta have some to post. :D
RocKrawler then you both know the pains of a Dually. Just wanted to point out some of the problems that till you've had one you don't know. :p

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I know the bugs of a dually, but could get my SD through most drive throughs, so driving it isnt a problem. I also used to drive a truck for a living. I may convert it to a SRW later, but for now it'll do. Still need those pics though...

By the way, is the rear end the same width and the difference is in the brake drums? or is the housing different from SRW to DRW? I know the front is changable just by the hubs... so not too concerned there...

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
That is BAD. me and my friends were talking about dream trucks.

My dream tow rig consisted of a SFA dually crew cab (or dually suburban), with 38's or so.

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There used to be a guy that lived in Anaheim Hills with a truck just like that... lot cleaner though but that was years ago & paint fades..

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
RocKrawler said:
There used to be a guy that lived in Anaheim Hills with a truck just like that... lot cleaner though but that was years ago & paint fades..
Could be the same guy. Ken lives (lived ?) in Anaheim.

Either way, heckuva truck. His collection is NICE!!!

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
RocKrawler said:
I know the bugs of a dually, but could get my SD through most drive throughs, so driving it isnt a problem. I also used to drive a truck for a living. I may convert it to a SRW later, but for now it'll do. Still need those pics though...

By the way, is the rear end the same width and the difference is in the brake drums? or is the housing different from SRW to DRW? I know the front is changable just by the hubs... so not too concerned there...
As far as I know the only diferenc if any is in the front and rear hubs themselfs.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Aquaman said:
That is BAD. me and my friends were talking about dream trucks.

My dream tow rig consisted of a SFA dually crew cab (or dually suburban), with 38's or so.
Hey I have a sually suburban it is not on 38 b/c it is only 2wd but I am looking for 4x4 frame to swap everthing over onto.

As for brakes. I know they are different for mine. The drums are wider on the back axle.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts