Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody,

Im new to the forum, but not that new to the sport.
I recently was given a 77' PowerWagon w/ a 440 and a small lift.

Ill start out with what i want to do to in a nutshell.
Im taking the 440 to about 500+ HP, but keeping the gearing and tires relatively stock. 3.55 gears and 33" tires.
Its the 1/2 ton, but is running 3/4 ton suspension and drivetrain.

So heres my question, does anybody know of or have any recommendations for Manufacturers of front drivelines, u-joints, transfer case parts, and front differential parts?

Also does anybody know where i can find a bed for this truck besides the junkyard?

·
Registered
17,091 Posts
So what exactly is in it? You say it is running 3/4 ton drivetrain, is that axles and if so, what axles? Dana 44 or 60 front? Is the truck going to be street driven, trail rig or a combo of both? What transmission and transfer case is in it? And where else would you find a bed for a truck that has been out of production for 25 years, except for the junkyard? You are out west where rust free stuff is at least somewhat available. We can't really recommend much if we don't know what you are doing.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Getting 500HP from a 77ish 440...better buy stock in a crank builder as that cast crank won't last very long.

steved

·
Registered
17,091 Posts
Good point, but since it's in a 1/2 ton it's been swapped in. Hopefully for his sake its an older engine. The mid '70s and up engines won't take a lot and can't be bored more then .020" I think.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Go to a forged crank or better yet build a stroker, 500 ponies is well within reach with the kit from 440source.com. I'm running dual dana 60's with 4.10's with 35's, A727 trans/205 t-case with a doubler and my motor is probably pushing 460 hp/520 lb.ft. torque with a forged crank and stock rods

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it's a 67' 440, and all precautions have been taken to help this motor survive the horsepower, but as we all know, its not even close to its full hp potential.

Im not worried about the Engine and trans, its the T-case and front driveline, along with the u-joints im worried about.
The rear driveline is already taken care of.

As far as boring mid-late 440's the can go 0.40 over.

·
Registered
17,091 Posts
Still the questions remain as to what front axle and the use of the truck. I assume since you are going with 500HP and keeping the 3.55s that you are not building it for a trail vehicle. Mud perhaps? If it were me, I'd get a D60 (if you don't already have one) and go with the big spline shafts and a NP205 transfer case. If it's going to be a street vehicle, I wouldn't worry too much about the front axle. My stock 3.55 geared D44 lasted a long time during decent trail use and only spit out one axle joint. It finally shattered the spider gears, but if you aren't going off road I wouldn't worry about the 4WD.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
is the NP20 and aftermarket??? its been a while since ive been in the scene!
as far as street vs trail, i will be trail driving every once in a while, but nothing extreme, but i also want the ability to burn all four tires on the street.

·
Registered
17,091 Posts
NP205 is the stock transfer case in most 3/4 and 1 ton trucks and in a lot of the older 1/2 tons. Cast iron case, gear driven and probably one of the strongest cases on the planet aftermarket or no. It is the recommended transfer case to swap in my Jeep M715 1 1/4 ton truck and I'm told Atlas won't recommend one of theirs in a truck that heavy.

As for burning all 4 tires, you are going to break the axle joints and eat U-joints like candy even if you put the heaviest parts you can buy. Doing stupid things always breaks parts and trying to do 4 wheel burnouts on pavement has got to be one of the stupidest things I can think of. How old are you? 16?

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
22, but its for a bet and for the entertainment value!
But how is it different than a guy in a rock crawler putting his foot to the floor trying to make it up the face of a rock and bouncing all over the place? you'll break more parts doing that than a burn-out on pavement.

But which manuf. should i go with for u-joints?

·
Registered
17,091 Posts
Ok, for a bet I understand. I had a friend that had a late '70s P/W with a built 318 that could burn all 4 35's so it is possible without 500HP, but overkill can be nice also. As for the rock crawling bit, I'm a fan of low gearing personally, so the full throttle, bouncing up over rocks doesn't appeal to me. If I can't get over something, I go around or get a winch. Mainly because I'm truck poor and can't afford to break anything, lol. There are several manufacturers of "high strength" U-joints out now. I can't personally recommend them since I don't use them. I get by just fine with standard Spicer brand U-joints. Much stronger than the typical "parts store" U-joint, but it's not an $80 joint either.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Going around obstacles is nice too! lol

Spicer has always been a brand of choice, i might look into it more, i was curious of other brand name u-joints. But the price always hurts.!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts