Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we are looking at a 97 F350 powerstroke at a tow rig. the only problem is that it isn't set up for towing, it's got 9 in. of lift and 40" mtrs which would need to come off. The truck is a four door, 8' bed w/ a leer cap, i believe it's an xlt, 140,000 miles. he has a banks turbo upgrade w/ banks exhaust, and a new upgraded transmission(not sure of the exact specs on the turbo and tranny, but i'll write them down when i talk to the guy). he also has a chrome warn bumper with i think a 9000 pound winch. the price he is at right now is $20,000 which i think is pretty high although it is a clean truck with lots of upgrades what do you think? and does anyone have an idea what the lift and wheels/tires would be worth if i took them off, i'm not familiar with these trucks, but from what i could tell this is what the lift included: lift springs up from with a shackle reversal and dropped pitman arm, the rear looked like it was just lift blocks. the wheels and tires were chrome 17" weld wheels with 40" goodyear wrangler mtrs with 5000 miles on them in very good condition. it's also got 4.88 axles gears which we probably wouldn't need to run the stock tires, what are they worth? we're thinking about buying the truck and putting all the stock equipment back on it and selling the lift tires and wheels and hopefully ending up with decent deal

·
Registered
555 Posts
I might be interested in the lift minus the shackle reversal, I already have a shackle reversale. Let me know what you want for all of it. Thanks Brad

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
we haven't bought the truck yet, i'm looking to see how much the lift and stuff is worth for these trucks, we run samurais and toyotas and such so i don't know anything about this stuff. what would be a reasonable price for the lift? as for the farm truck thing, this truck was built mostly for show, if they wheeled it at all, it was rare and if they did it was nothing hard on the truck. this truck will be used almost completely for long distance travel so i'm not too crazy about a farm or work truck that was used hard

·
Registered
5,572 Posts
IMO waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyy over priced. Most people don't realize you'll never get your money back upon sale for lifts and such... Usually the opposite.

·
Registered
117 Posts
f250crawler said:
you can get a used 2000-2001 dually psd for about 15-20k
I agree. This is the route to go with your price range. Better motor, computer system and better mods available.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
TurdBronco said:
I agree. This is the route to go with your price range. Better motor, computer system and better mods available.
Yup. The 99 and newer PSD's spank the 97 and older in both ride quality and power. I have a 1997 F350.

·
Registered
204 Posts
$20k is about 2x the going price. He may have alot of money invested in performance mods, but those won't do anything to add to the value.

The second generation powerstrokes are more refined that the earlier models, but both are good, I've seen older powerstrokes with over 300k miles on them.

Down here where I live the snow birds sell their tow rigs all the time, they don't have lots of miles on them, and they are usually well maintained. Shop around some more, there are alot of better deals to be found out there.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Traveller said:
$20k is about 2x the going price. He may have alot of money invested in performance mods, but those won't do anything to add to the value.
Ive got a 97 4 dr and it still books for over 15k in stock form AND mods like those do add to the price if the guy has some lose pocket change!!!!!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I agree...way to much money...I bought a clean 97,4X4 350,PSD,new trans,banks exhaust,99,000 miles...12,500, last year....I think it booked for 15K at that time.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
About 6 months ago I totaled out my 96 xlt Lariat F250 SC 4x4 LWB. 180k it was in very good condition. Lots of drive train and engine mods. The Ins, Co. valued it at about $11k, after considering all of my mods and extras they raised the value to $12,500. When selling used lifts and such you can figure between 25-40 cents on the dollar. That truck is close to double what the average price is for the same truck around here. Let some other sucker buy it. For that money you can be into a real nice Super Duty. The aftermarket stuff it getting scarce for the OBS trucks, and nothing new is being developed since it has been 8 years since the last one was made. There is plenty out there for the SD, and there is still new stuff coming out. Plus things like the SD PSD has an intercooler, bigger turbo, bigger intake, better exhaust, higher h/p and torque rating, smoother ride, better front axle, transmission is stronger, all of which will be a benefit when towing. I am not knocking the OBS trucks I still own my old one and I love the looks, but it would be foolish to spend that much coin on a OBS just to take the majority of it off and sell it @ 25 cents on the dollar. Good luck finding a nice truck, just be patient they are out there.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
that banks exhaust is just a new downpipe and tailpipe, the cat, muffler and intermediate pipe stays stock, and the "turbo upgrade" is just a new turbine housing which will give you quicker spoolup, you ca buy them all day long for around 150 bucks

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Yes. Too much.

I paid $8.5k CDN for my plain-jane stock '95 F350 with similar miles.

A chipped, modded, Banks'ed rig has probably had the living shiat driven out of it.

Also, 9k winch is too small. Auto trans is a liability. :p

·
Premium Member
19,786 Posts
Don't forget, you would need to cut driveshafts, rear gear diff.
Its never a good idea to buy something like that for a tow rig.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts