Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this has been talked about here or not. If it has just say some thing and I will delete this.

This is stemming from what I saw and read here: http://www.paragonap.com/yabbse/index.php?board=8;action=display;threadid=1441

Now I want some feed back on this. I was driving in to work to day thinking about everyone that wheels and what we drive and how we lift them. I was also thinking about the new people that come in to this sport and ask "hay what should I do first" and we all say LIFT IT!!! or PUT BIGGER AXLES UNDER IT!!! Well how about we start saying PUT IN A FULL CAGE TYIED IN TO THE FRAME!!
Now I know I am just as guilty as the rest for lifting your truck first and the last thing we all do (because we can't afford it) is to put in a full cage. Hell I have been wheeling for the last 5 or 6 years and just put mine in at the end of last summer! I have seen to may people with big rigs and no fill cage. I have also seen (me just as guilty) people out on some of the hardest trails in the park with stock cages.
So my question is what should your fitst mod be? Looking back I would say if you are going to be in this sport for the long haul I sould put in a tight full cage that can take a good hard roll!!! I have seen some flops where the stock cage and wind shield fram held up but have also seen light rolls wher the wind shield has crumpled like tin.
Just some thing to think about.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
My first real upgrade was to a 6 point cage. I ran around for 1.5 years with a 6 point cage and 31" AT tires :D - didn't wheel for shiizzo but I knew I was safe when it I was hitting it hard.

I would never have considered half of my future upgrades without first having done some basic saftey upgrades.

Get the CAGE!!! Then add the rest of the crap.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sloan_3_24_74 said:
You really should have changed your avatar prior to this post...

:flipoff2:

Good point! :D

·
Premium Member
30,419 Posts
i have been touting cages as a first mod since day one. it always lets the air out of there sails. seems they are more intreasted in looking cool with big meats than being safe. oh well i will continue to preach cage first

·
Registered
872 Posts
Good point, I wish that was more stressed when I was doing all my research... I still don't have a cage (in the works) but I'm also vary firm on what I run and what I wont.... Call me what ever, but I've pushed my luck long enough, and if I keep it up it will come back and bight me hard.....

But at the time I didn't think I'd be at the level I'm at now with wheeling/crawling. Sure it strated with good intentions on a nice weekend wheeler... LOL it evolved, quickly...

But I'll start passing it on as soon as I have a cage to preach with....! :D

happy trails!
-Jerry-

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
The first 'mod' oughta be driving the beast in STOCK form. Seriously. This will actually develop a degree of off-road driving skill that can be the GREATEST safety feature of any vehicle.

I've had friends over the years (not just w/ 4x4's, either) who enter some new sport and blow a BUNCH of money on kit.

I always say... Learn to drive/ride/use whatever you got FIRST. Then build it up. You'll have a better idea of what you need at that point, too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts