Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
finnished plumbing in the full hydro, problem...

it steers left to right as it should, no bubbles in fluid. the problem. Steering feels really heavy, slow and kinda sticky. Pretty much undriveable.

pump is not making any strange noises, etc. Was thoroughly bled on jack stands.system steers fine when engine is off, on stands, turns left to right just fine.

system is stock GM pump(99 4.3) charlynn orbital. (#201-1021-005) lines from orbital to ram are 1/2 ID.
small tranny cooler as steering cooler, rockstomper resevoir, with top output capped run into top of chevy resevoir.

return side of system leaves orbital, runs through cooler, back to return on factory pump. using-6 hose/fittings.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I ran 1 big hose from the aftermarket resevoir to the factory resevoir. and did not run from the small port on the resevoir to the pump return.

this was suggested by scot at rockstomper. the flow leaves orbital to the cooler, then back to the pump.
Looks like i have a bad pump, which explains some of my previous problems with assist.

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
Your other alternative would be to cap off the small return line on the pump, and route the return to the reservoir, but if you do that, you absolutely have to run suction rated large hose (Parker 821-10 or equivalent) from the reservoir to the pump.

The single-line-reservoir-hookup is roughly equivalent to having a very large onboard reservoir on the pump, but can only work when the pump has a return line on it as well. Should work well to accomodate the dynamic fluid volume changes inherent in a single-end-cylinder system.

·
Registered
297 Posts
may still be air in the system........................crack the lines at the cylinder and turn left to right with engine not running................tighten the lines back up and let sit...................that is all I can come up with there is some air still in the system some where

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Mine does the exact same thing. Plumbed just like yours. Mine is like the valve is always working, even when not turning. I can find the sweet spot when the pump is not working but but seems like it is far and few between. Just added a cooler and it seems to help but still not fixed. Hope we can fet this figures out or we can drink a few over it at Harlin this weekend.

Toddy

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
cracked pressure line from pump to orbital w/engine running. Very little pressure while still or while turning wheel.

Seems as though should have lots of pressure?

Another bad pump?
I think the amount of fluid moving is the same regardless of what you're doing with the steering wheel. It's just based on the pump and the rpm. The steering wheel just directs the fluid to the ram instead of the open center. I think you should have decent pressure at that hose all the time.

Does the fluid level stay constant in the reservoir when the lines are connected? If it goes down you're probably not done bleeding it and you're compressing an air bubble in the system.

·
Registered
595 Posts
How many turns lock to lock?? the reason I ask is because some of the ones I've done anything less than 3 turns is really slow and almost hard, the problem is with a saginaw pump,

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
I just have about 3 or a little less lock to lock. I am gonna try a new valve when I get a chance and see if that helps. I can drive mine but it is very touchy. Not tring to high jack Dave just sounds like we are dealing with the same problem. What kinda fluid you running? I switched to the tractor fluid and it seems to help some also.

Toddy

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
Does the fluid level stay constant in the reservoir when the lines are connected? If it goes down you're probably not done bleeding it and you're compressing an air bubble in the system.
If it's a single ended ram the level will go up and down regardless.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I just have about 3 or a little less lock to lock. I am gonna try a new valve when I get a chance and see if that helps. I can drive mine but it is very touchy. Not tring to high jack Dave just sounds like we are dealing with the same problem. What kinda fluid you running? I switched to the tractor fluid and it seems to help some also.

Toddy
you don't have to change the whole valve , just change the parts on the end of the valve, which is the internal pump, the shaft inside and the plate that surrounds the gear, that will change the ci of the valve.

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
If it's a single ended ram the level will go up and down regardless.
I wasn't clear but I was asking if the level went down when he started the motor, not when he turned the wheel. FWIW, I talked to him on Sunday night and it seems like a bad pump to me too. It barely pumps from the integrated reservoir though a feet of hose.

·
Registered
850 Posts
One thing to check. Does your steering shaft have joints top and bottom? If you have any bind in the steering shaft (side load ) you'll get this problem. I just went through this same thing on mine. Read in my research a statement from Sean that this can be a problem. Ordered a joint from summit for the bottom of my steering shaft ( orbital end ) Put it on and the problem disappeared.
Just an idea to check. My steering turned fairly easy (didn't feel like it was binding) before I put the bottom joint on. Now you can steer with one finger while stopped with 38's :smokin:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts