Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a toyhauler it has 14 foot of living quarters and a 15k btu A/c but I need to buy a generator. How large do I need to go, I would like something mobile and quiet.

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
mobile and quiet = $$$$

yamaha, honda make some nice quiet units... 3000 watt gen will power one AC no problem... you're gonna spend $1,500+ though.

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
What altitude will you require the AC at? A 3000w generaor doesn't cut it at 6000 feet. Even with re-jetting they lose efficency with altitude. We looked at the specs for an Onan Microquiet 4000 watt generator (pretty common, specs were printed on a sticker on the gen), at 6000 feet it puts out about 22-2300 watts, barely enough to run a 13.5k A/C unit. I have one of the Yahmaha 3000eisb's it'll boost to 3500 watts to help devices start up, it's advertised as 3000 watts, fine print in the manual says 2800 watts continuous. That is the bare minimum I would buy and it didn't like running our A/C in Colorado last year. It does fine at lower elevations and is super quiet. While it is considered "portable" the unit really requires two people to lift it. I am looking at how to permanent mount it to our trailer tongue.

Edit - a general rule of thumb is -5% for every 1000 feet.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Total up the watts of everything you plan to run...and double it. I'm serious too. I thought 10KW was going to be good enough to be a backup genset for the house. When it was all hooked up, I realized that I hardly have enough if everything turned on at once.

Adrianspeeder

·
Registered
13,099 Posts
Since you have a toy hauler, the Yamaha 3000ESiB is the way to go. It's heavy, but it has wheels on it so you can roll it up and down the ramp. The other option is to get a pair of 2000 watt Hondas and a parallel kit to link them together. It is more expensive than the Yamaha, but it is easier to manage, lighter (as a whole) and a little more versatile.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I have the Yamaha 2800i. It ran me about $1100 ish.

2800 peak / 2500 continuous watts. Runs everything in my travel trailer just fine. Including a/c.. Obviously not at the same time - use a little common sense and you'll do ok... i.e. no a/c, coffee pot, and microwave at the same time... hehe..

I picked this model for a few reasons....

price point for the quiet.. It's competitive with Hondas and other Yams....
Has eco mode for greater fuel economy when not running full throttle
It's inverter technology - meaning clean power for tvs computers, etc
weight is about 64 lbs... So my scrawny ass can lift it
run time at full throttle is about 7.5 hours.. this was important so I can sleep overnight with a/c on a single tank of fuel if necessary.

All things considered, for me, this one seemed to be the best ~value~

·
Registered
302 Posts
You might also consider an onan gen set. They are owned by cummins.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
"The other option is to get a pair of 2000 watt Hondas and a parallel kit to link them together."

This is an excellent option. and you have the ability to take one with you somewhere if you choose. They have a long run time also dont remember what.

Charlo

1 - 8 of 8 Posts