Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive never dealt with heim joints so I have no idea what size or strength Im going to need, so lets start with the application.

The heim joint is going to go at the knuckle end of the draglink attatched to the hy-steer arm on a flat-top knuckled Dana 44 from a 76 Chevy sitting under my 69 Patrol. I will be running 37" tires and power steering if that makes a difference.

What size would be good for my application?

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I can't answer your question, but suggest you use Chevy one ton drag link ends #2027L and 2026R for that app. Heims are prone to complete failure where as the drag link ends can be worn to a nubbin and still be street safe and trail ready. Not to mention that you will have more angle possible than with hiems. And you can get them at any drug store or supermarket.:grinpimp:

·
Registered
569 Posts
Its gonna depend on your high steer arm, what radius do you have at the end were your bolt will go through? I'd be more worried about "egging out" if the walls are too thin. for your application i'd say 3/4" but that also depend on the quality you buy. Some 5/8" have higher static load than 3/4 but i'd bring spare bolts.

There are alot of variables.

·
Registered
2000 Nissan on tons; 41WC; 42GPW
155 Posts
You can run tie rod ends if the angles aren't too steep. If they're too steep the rod ends will wear out quickly. I know.

I run 3/4 heims in my steering and i figure i have to replace them every 2x years. But it was more often with factory rod ends. Never broke one in the steering but they do get some slop over time. Get high quality ones too. More $ but worth it.

Once you bore out the holes i don't figure you can go back to tie rod ends.

If you have safety inspection in your state i wouldn't go to heims; not street legal.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, some of you may or may not know about the fires here in Stephens County, OK. These fires engulfed my regular machine shop. I no longer have any idea of how much it would cost me or where to get my hi-steer arm drilled for the TRE taper.

So, new question. Is there a bit out there I can put in a drill press to drill this taper? Thanks for being so patient with me.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Bah, you don't need a drill press. Use a good 18 volt cordless and a tapered bit and for the first one just drill a bit at a time until the rod end fits right. Then mark the bit with tape and drill all the rest to the mark. The tapered bits are expensive, but last long and lots of peps have them from when they did their arms and pitman and whatknot.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Search is down, but I would post the question in the general forum to be sure. I have the correct reamer, just can't remember what the taper amount is. I have reamed arms and pitmans for a few folks with it, no complaints.

·
Registered
129 Posts
heim it up

I run a waggy D44 with Spidertrax high steer arms and 3/4" heims. I've always been good about keeping a spare heim or two in my box but never had to replace one with my 37's and lockers. I've broken the stock steering bracket a couple of times but no heims.

·
Registered
14 Posts
after a year and a half im just now replacing the 3/4 heim's i have on my steering. they were basic 2pc non-lined ends- worked well and when you set it up right you can eliminate that slop that comes from a tre setup where the tie-rod rotates- since your running hy-steer it shouldent be an issue givven the one side has 2 holes- 3/4 shold be fine but here is something i recomend highly,

a- get teflon lined- when and if you lube heims, the lube attracts dirt and will get into the heim and wear it out quicker then if it was dry

b- http://sealsit.com/rodend.asp they sell these SWEET heim joint seals, protects them from all that crap that can get into them and foul them up-

gl- tony

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I would ask whether you plan to run the truck on the street at high speeds. I wouldn't be comfortable with heims on the highway, especially when there are so many better alternatives.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts