Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First - Sorry for old subject. I did do searches on this subject as best I could, but still am needing help from wiser ones than me. Total newbie on this issue.

I currently have a 77 FJ40 w/strong 2F, stock 4spd & trnsfr & diffs. Everything else stock as well except for SUA 4" Alcans & +2" shackles & ARB's. Running 35/1250/15 MTR's.

I am anticipating switching to on-hand Aussie 4spd. Looking at either a AA Rock Box or Marlin Toy box to enhance. Don't really want to give up stock R&P's. Like to rock crawl, but like DD aspect too (although not a DD, still like stock performance)

Already planning 1" body lift. Realize need new drive shafts. Know about AA box install in pieces & Toy Box is 1 piece w/new main shaft. Know about difference in ratio options (would like either 3+ for AA or 4+ for TB).

Saw some mention of needing to flip rear springs; is it necessary?; if so, what's entailed?. Any other advice on changes affected? Any pro/con input for both boxes would be helpful.

·
Premium Member
3,189 Posts
I run the AA rockbox in mine. I chose to go that way because it was shorter than the toybox and it was cheaper to get lower gears. You do not need to flip the springs, thats your choice, I did not. My cruiser is soa with 37" inch MT/R's and I still have a 23" driveshaft. Different motor and tranny though. Yeah the rockbox has to be put on in 2 peices but it is not hard, don't let that be a determining factor in you choice.

·
Chubby Chaser
26,105 Posts
For me the driveline length was not an issue, I'm stretched out to 108". I got a smokin deal on the Toybox, so that's what I'm running.

I have nothing but good things to say about it;)

·
Premium Member
5,906 Posts
I vote Toybox, but then again I am not unbiased :D

Look at all the options

price
ratios
quality
installation

then make a choice, it sounds like you already have all the info. :beer:

·
Chubby Chaser
26,105 Posts
The other plus for me was that I was able to ditch that old style AA crossmember that mounted to the cone, and replace it with a mini truck member. That has seemed to take alot of the stress off the three speed case.;)

Lemme go find some pics.

·
Chubby Chaser
26,105 Posts
Here's my whole assy. with an SM420, Toybox, 3 speed case.

Attachments

·
Chubby Chaser
26,105 Posts
Here's the crossmember.

Attachments

·
Registered
301 Posts
Rock Hugger, can you please share a picture of rear driveline? is AA Rock Box loud? Can you feel the slop in the driveline even the box is in high? Thx.

/td

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
nice progress Jeff...

something lit a fire under your arse considering you let that sweet cruiser sit for years.

Oh, I also recommend the Toy Box... give Marlin or Big Mike a call.

·
Premium Member
5,906 Posts
ROCK HUGGER said:
If you look close you can see trouble brewing:flipoff2:
That is a repair job :flipoff2: I believe he had spun a rear driveline and limped into camp on the front only.

·
Registered
366 Posts
i wish I could get the tow box to fit between my ATLS and my SM465. I think it is a great product with lots of real world beating. If it stands up to [email protected] and his 44's. It should live behind your 2F and 35's.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the info so far guys...big help to have this forum out there. Keep it coming.

As I see so far; no one saying I "have to" flip rear springs. If I still wanted to, to make up for Rock Box length, what's it take & what else will it affect?

The responses so far also raise another question...what to do about a crossmember when going w/Rock box betwween Toy 4spd & trnsfr? Mustard Dog used a mini for his; will mine be any different?

PS - Tony, I would have gotten off my arse alot sooner, if you wouda taken "your" Hilux out of my barn two years ago!!!:flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Ranger Jeffs said:
The responses so far also raise another question...what to do about a crossmember when going w/Rock box betwween Toy 4spd & trnsfr? Mustard Dog used a mini for his; will mine be any different?
The ToyBox is a modified mini tcase and has the mounting holes for the mini support!

Here's a pic of my xmember/tcase support!

·
Registered
5,640 Posts
sm420

the pic of the sm420 painted green , I noticed some ribs cast into side of tranny , what gives , did it come from HD application?

·
Registered
58 Posts
The ribs are standard on an SM420, which is the green thing in the pictures.

I vote Toy Box and I'm putting one in my FJ55. Of course rear drive shaft length is not an issue for me, not like in an FJ40. I like the flexibility of gearing choices with a Toy Box. It's going to be sweet on the trails in Moab. :p

1 - 20 of 22 Posts