Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
heres my problem..I have a Dana 25 under the jeep right now, I am installing the SM465 tranny adapted to the Model 18 tranfer case. I want a disc front that is stronger than my 25 but I need a passenger side pumpkin. I found a dana 44 thats in a 1974 wagoneer with disc brakes but I am wondering if this will be too wide. It also has the matcking rear 44. I already have a 44 in the rear of my jeep but it's out of a newer flatfender and it tucks up under the wheel wells. Or does anyonbe know what it runs to have a front shortened.I live in Northern Ca. All help would be greatly appreciated!!

·
Premium Member
2,603 Posts
Why not a CJ Dana 30? I think the narrow tracks are drum brakes but can easily be converted to disc. Wide track 30's are already set up with disc's. I'm getting ready to pull a Dana 30 from my Scrambler that has a Detriot Soft locker, Warn Alloy axles, CTM U-joints, Disc brakes, 4.56 gears, etc......pm me if interested.

·
Registered
6,023 Posts
If you live in northern california there are only like a few dozen shops that could cut down that waggy 44 and slap it underneath that willys. That's what I did. The rear can be converted as well if you are into 4-wheel disc. I guess it comes down to $$$ and what you are willing to spend. Getting a set narrowed runs around 250 depending on which shop you go to. Then you have to have the shafts cut down as well (or buy new ones).

·
Registered
671 Posts
hey man, if you go with the 30 or something other than that waggy 44 you got, let me know. i'm looking for a waggy front with flat tops. another option if you haven't already bought adapters is to get some yota axles cuz there are wider than flat fenders but narrower than waggys (i think the rears are the same, but fronts are narrower). the only thing is the rear axle has a centered diff, not passenger offset. front axle perches shoul dbe like 29" apart or something, which is about an inch and a half wider than the willys. you could outboard easy and run them that way.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Go with the wagg 44's stock width, not too difficult to adapt, not too wide to kill streetability, and plenty stout and common spares. If rear is centered a JY Dana 20 can be had cheap. Mine is full width, but I think Waggy width would be perfect. my .02

·
Registered
9,338 Posts
If I do a CJ3a project I'm either going w/ a full widht 44 front and 60 rear or 63" HP44 front and 63" 14 bolt rear. Not sure yet :D

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
If you want to stay narrow track the scout D44 is a good option. You only have to narrow the long side axle to your desired width. I matched the CJ 30 for my buddy, & it turned out slick.
The scout is already 5 X 5.5 with disk brakes, another plus.

The down side is it has zero degrees of caster, so it is a good idea to cut & turn the passenger side at the same time.

It is not hard to narrow a front & adjust caster. Hope you like grinding :flipoff2: . Superior makes custom shafts at a reasonable price for the side you narrow.

If you are going to run 35's or larger tire, I would throw the waggy axles under your flatty. Wider, stronger rear, easier.

My .02

·
Registered
883 Posts
If you want bolt in with dics, the late '70s Dana 30s from CJ5/7/8s will do the trick. I think in 1978 they all went discs and they didn't go wide-track until like 1982. You really want 1978 or 1979, though as I think it was 1980 where they went to the cheap 5-bolt lockouts.

I am going to run a Waggy 44 that has been narrowed ~4 inches to align the spring pads with the CJ springs. Then I put Ford Bronco/F-150 rotors/hubs/bearings to bring me back to 5 on 5.5" bolt pattern. The axle ends up being just over 58" wms-to-wms.

For the rear I am running a J-truck Dana 44 that has been narrowed to match the front. It has Ford housing ends, Dutchman axles and Ford Explorer SVO disc brakes. It was from a quadratac truck so I can keep my Dana model 18 transfer case and Warn overdrive.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
You have a pm. :D

1 - 20 of 36 Posts