Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine has a '92 pickup with the 22re. He was on his way home tonight and he called me and said something had happened to his truck. He said while he was driving all of a sudden his engine started rattling loudly. He knows the typical valve rattle and he said it is much louder. It dosent want to idle and when he was still rolling if he gave it any throttle the noise got louder with rpm. I told him to check the oil and he said it looked fine. So i come to the toyota guys to tell me what happened. Any help is appricated.

·
Registered
731 Posts
he blew it the fuck up :smokin: Tell your "friend" to check the water level in the radiator while he is at it, I just did an engine swap in the shop from a guy who ran his truck out of water and thought he could make 8 more miles on his 20r, cooked that mother so bad the cylinders warped and all the oil went past the burnt rings and made a great smelling/knocking/leaking mess :smokin:

·
Registered
537 Posts
A friend of mine has a '92 pickup with the 22re. He was on his way home tonight and he called me and said something had happened to his truck. He said while he was driving all of a sudden his engine started rattling loudly. He knows the typical valve rattle and he said it is much louder. It dosent want to idle and when he was still rolling if he gave it any throttle the noise got louder with rpm. I told him to check the oil and he said it looked fine. So i come to the toyota guys to tell me what happened. Any help is appricated.
Have him pull the plugs, check for damage there first. If something popped valve train wise, piston wise, etc, it should hammer the plug as well. This will give him a starting point.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
well we thought it might have been the timing chain guide broke but he got a chance to diagnose the problem and the guide is fine. Any suggestions to look for to determine whats wrong?

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
After following Tim's suggestions, turn it around by hand & see if any binding. Try a compression test if it rotates freely. Sounds a bit like you are describing a rod knock.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts