Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jeep worked perfectly this morning and as I get to work still worked. Get back in to the jeep to go home and i hear a click from the solenoid and then there is nothing. There is no current getting to the voltimeter or anything either. So I was like ok it is the solenoid and i went out and changed it out. Turned teh key and i heard a quick click and then nothing again. There is no current going across the solenoid so i believe it is blown again. Any idea on what would cause them to go so fast? The jeep is set up with a remote ford solenoid on the fenderwell and that is what is blowing. I hope someone can help. Right now the jeep is stranded in a parking lot

·
Registered
56 Posts
Did u try jumping it at all last time that happened to me i tried using my booster box and i got it to work. But once the clamp of the first boster came off the engine just shut off. I replaced the battery it seemed to work, but dont be fooled like i was my altenator wasnt recharging i just had my father rebuild it and working just fine.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Is it when you turn it on or when you turn to start? a few good hammer smacks on the starter may work. I used to have a simmilar thing happen w/ my '68 pontiac and a few tapps on the starter seemed to undo a short.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Disconnect the power lead to the starter and see if the solenoid goes on and off ok. Sounds like maybe your starter is putting a short to ground across your solenoid.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well it is fixed but i have no clue how!!! I went back today and swapped in another solenoid just in case and of course I still only got an occasion click from it when i tried to start it. SO I thought alright maybe it could be the battery so I tried to jump it and then still nothing. I then ran the + line from the other car and jumped the solenoid and the engine turned over a quarter turn. Ever since then the jeep has started up just fine. Is there anyway the engine could just have been "stuck" for a better term where the starter couldn't turn it over with a low battery possibly???

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Check the cables to a from the solenoid for loose connections, and corrosion. Also have your starter tested for amperage pull while cranking.

If you pull too much amperage through the solenoid for any of these reasons, it will burn the contacts inside the solenoid.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts