Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was a video on you-tube I saw for a trail fix. I can't seem to find it anymore. Been looking for it for quite a few days now. Even looked in my history etc... and can't find it.

So what the video is, is about a trail fix using a rubber expansion plug in your front axle tube. Where your axle shaft would go.

The fix is when your u-joint breaks you take the knuckle off your ball joints leaving your outer axle shaft still in. This only accomplishes the allowance of the inner axle shaft. Once removed you insert the expandable rubber plug in your axle tube, install your knuckle etc..

Anyway this gets you off the trail or possibly even home and keeps crap from going into your axle tubes. Anyone seen or can find this video for me so I can use it for future trail use?

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
Don't know why you need a video, just get some expansion plugs like that, that will fit your spindle and axle tube... Install and wheel on.

Or a better idea is to carry spare shafts.

·
Premium Member
19,786 Posts
I don't know the video but like everyone else said it's super common with unit bearing front ends that require a stub shaft to still be bolted in place.
All that plug does is keep gear oil in it, gunk out of it.
Rags and tape just as good.

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
I don't know the video but like everyone else said it's super common with unit bearing front ends that require a stub shaft to still be bolted in place.
All that plug does is keep gear oil in it, gunk out of it.
Rags and tape just as good.

This. I used my wife beater to plug my axle tube and it worked fine for the rest of the trail and a couple hundred mile drive home.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Lot of jeep tj and xj guys have unit bearings in front that need a stub and nut to keep the unit bearing together to drive on. So just use the plug on axle end reinstall stub into unit bearing tighten nut and drive. No video needed.

·
Addicted to Gear Oil
9,986 Posts
Ian had a spot about that on Extreme 4x4, or what ever they call that show now.
Yep. It was on an episode of eXtreme 4x4 recently.

Lot of jeep tj and xj guys have unit bearings in front that need a stub and nut to keep the unit bearing together to drive on. So just use the plug on axle end reinstall stub into unit bearing tighten nut and drive. No video needed.
Yep.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts