Pirate 4x4 banner

Need help from the brake gods!

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  HVYJ 
#1 ·
Where do i start? yj with 78 ford 44/60 swap, I cant get a decent pedal!
rear came with 78 caddy caliper/disc setup (new)(think its the lugnut4x4 disc swap kit)
front has gm jb6? calipers(not sure why) with aftermarket brackets like the rear.
All new components including stainless hardlines, AN stainless front hoses, 1990 w150 rear hose to axle(extended)
I put ram 2500 master on my dual diaphram booster.(bench bled of course) and I made a new booster push rod to the master and adjusted properly

all of that failed to produce a safe braking system, and its not air! I tried a 2nd ram master thinking it was faulty, same issue.

so then i swapped to parts from my parts jeep, single booster with metal master cyl, took o ring out of combo valve, and got rid of the caddy calipers for 76 k20 calipers(i wanted to stay non metric to avoid having to find new hoses again)

these k20 calipers seemed to make it worse. im fairly certain the problem lies in the rear brakes but I have no idea what else to do! pedal goes almost to floor then gets some pressure.
Is there some other calipers or something I should be using in the rear?

See less See more
#2 ·
I had a similar set up, 79 kingpin ford 60 and 14 bolt rear in a 88 YJ. I ran both a early drum rear and later disk rear. I also ran the ram master booster combo. small leaks and air was a major issue for me. I used napa pre flared lines and this helped a lot.

if you sure its not air then check your push rod mod, sounds like it may be too short.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.