Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Need help identifying a 14 bolt R&P . . .

I bought a military truck that I've been working on in my spare time. It's running now, and I just got the driveshafts in. When in 4-wheel drive, it barks the tires . . . both the front and back every 25' or so. I got my wife to drive while I watched, and the wheel would just stop for a second. The only thing I can come up with is that there's a different ratio in the front and rear axle. I checked the front 60, and it's a 4.56. But since I've never had a 14-bolt before, I'm having a little trouble id'ing the rear. Can anyone help? Is this a 4.56? Open carrier of a Detroit?

Thanks!

·
Registered
703 Posts
It most probably has a detroit in the rear. Mine does something simular when on concrete in 4wd, even with the front open.

·
Registered
87 Posts
does it do it all the time every 25' or only turning corners also the 14 bolt has 4.56 gears 9 pinion teath and 41 gear teath also if it is a military truck I think they all had detriots from the factory but Im not sure on this it could be a g80 gov-lock not sure also is the front locked because that can cause some odd problems when in 4wd on the road

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The front is open.

The tires "chirp" even when driving in a straight line.

·
Registered
877 Posts
yay for gov-loc's!!! :D

its probably toast. If 3-3-99 is the date of manufacture (what else would it be?) than its either 4.10 or 3.73, 10.5" ring gear. Either count the teeth on the ring gear and pinion and figure it out etc... or just turn the pinion yoke to see how many turns it takes to make 1 rev of the axle shafts.

Jacked up if you turn one wheel which direction does the other turn? Any binding?

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
3 cross pins stickicking out of the housing its a gove lock, 4 cross pins sticking out and its a open diff or detriot...but with a detroit you can't see side/spider gear thru the windows in the diff...because there arn't any.

The easy way to check to see if the front and rear match is to jack both tires on one side of the truck off the ground. Lock it into 4wd and mark the top of both tires and start turning one by hand. If they are off buy much you will know it after a couple of turns because the marks will no longer line up like they used to. EDIT: Oh and a detroit won't allow you to do this because it doesn't have the internal gears....

·
Registered
8,377 Posts
DURAtotheMAX said:

its probably toast. If 3-3-99 is the date of manufacture (what else would it be?) than its either 4.10 or 3.73, 10.5" ring gear. Either count the teeth on the ring gear and pinion and figure it out etc... or just turn the pinion yoke to see how many turns it takes to make 1 rev of the axle shafts.

Jacked up if you turn one wheel which direction does the other turn? Any binding?

If you look at the pictures you will see 9 41 = 4.56

·
Registered
877 Posts
whats it out of tho?? the late GM HD pickups only ahve 4.10 and 3.73?? :confused:

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
..and it's hard to find fault with the 9 - 41 stamping....no matter what it is out of, swapped from, or gear changes over the years.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I wasn't sure about the "9 41". Usually you'll see it 41/9 (that's what the tag on the front 60 says).

I think I figured out the tire chirping problem though . . . it hit me at sometime during the night . . . the tires. I got up this morning and checked them and sure enough, the rears are 235's and the fronts are 225's. Not a big difference, but enough to cause the drivetrain to bind.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
DURAtotheMAX said:

The wheels turn in opposite directions, but no binding.

BTW, I had already tried turning the tires and watching the driveshafts . . . I got some crazy numbers though!

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
DURAtotheMAX said:
whats it out of tho?? the late GM HD pickups only ahve 4.10 and 3.73?? :confused:
It's in this . . .

·
Registered
877 Posts
fuck thats the second time I didnt read something fully and messed up!

:shootself:

·
Registered
76 Posts
u2slow said:
The other 4.56 giveaway is that one half of the diff case is way fatter.

how does the diff case tell you what gears are inside it????????
you can get a 14bolt Full Float axle with several different ratios from the factory, not to mention the aftermarket.

·
Registered
12,348 Posts
ccatlett1984 said:
how does the diff case tell you what gears are inside it????????
you can get a 14bolt Full Float axle with several different ratios from the factory, not to mention the aftermarket.
I believe he is talking about the carrier. Look at pic 3 in the first post.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts