Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently acquired a 1986 Chevy Suburban c10 from my uncle. I am now trying to figure out what I have got.
I contacted a local dealer and tried to get a build sheet with my vin number, and they said it was too old they could not look it up. I brought the truck to my neighbor whom is an old school mechanic, he said since it didnt have a modulator valve on the outside it was a "metric" transmition? Can anyone clarify this for me?
Also, what do I need to know to ID the transfer case and rear end?
The rear end only has 10 bolts, does that tell me anything?

·
Registered
14,847 Posts
you answered one of the questions yourself. you said the rear end has 10 bolts. that means it is called a "10 bolt rear end"

you can id the transfercase by looking at the back side of it. there should be a little metal plate saying what it is. but as was stated 95% chance its a np208. and the transmission you can id by looking at the transmission pan if its a automatic,

th350 has a square pan with one corner cut off of it. 700r4 has a square pan and a th400 has kinda a "S" shaped pan i guess you can say.

or just post pictures of them someone on here will know.

also you said its a C10... "C" means its a 2wd. if you got a transfercase under there you got a K10

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Around that time, Chevy switched to "V10/20/30" if that comes up. I was used to earlier trucks and the C/K designations, confused me for a second at the AutoZone. :D

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
88-91 got the V series designation.

If it's actually a C10 it doesn't have a t-case or a front axle.

Otherwise it's what they said most likely, 700r4/208/10b/10b.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
you are all right it is a v10.
if I remember correctly, the tranny pan is squaire, I will have to take a pic and post it.

I have another question about the 10 bolt axles. I would like to put at the very least a stronger possibly posi track rear axle in there and upgrade to disks in the rear, what is a logical year and model to get a donor axle from? Is there a direct bolt up year and make?

·
Registered
14,847 Posts
Around that time, Chevy switched to "V10/20/30" if that comes up. I was used to earlier trucks and the C/K designations, confused me for a second at the AutoZone. :D
i learn something new everyday in here. i never owned any chevys newer then a 85. ive seen people meantion they have a v10 4x4 and always thought where did they get a v10 engine to put in there:flipoff2:

·
Registered
240 Posts
i learn something new everyday in here. i never owned any chevys newer then a 85. ive seen people meantion they have a v10 4x4 and always thought where did they get a v10 engine to put in there:flipoff2:
Well that would be pretty cool if my V20 had a V20.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts