Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NEW TO SITE NEED SOME HELP WITH STEERING I WAS GOING TO GO TOYOTA BUT I AM GOING TO GO CHEVY. CAN ANY BODY GIVE ME ANY HELP AND IS THERE ANY PICTS.:confused:

·
Registered
343 Posts
no simple answer

mounting a GM pump on a sammy motor is pretty easy, but mounting a saginaw box is a different story. go get one and see where you are going to put it without hacking half of the front end up.

the toyota IFS box would be easier (if you are wanting outside frame) or the celica box (if you can find one) for the inside. i wasn't too happy with the celica box with larger than 33" tires.

good luck.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Shut up with that "SEARCH" shit. I'm sick of it.

I used a Scout II box on mine. I couldn't go with a Toy box as the pitman arm was in the way of the coils. The only thing to watch for is that the pitman arm on a Scout II box is SOOOOO long. The one on my Sidekick sticks out just past the front of my frame rail, but then so does my front axle:D

Attachments

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
I think you can use a GM pump easily, but the box wont be easy.

I have looked at a bunch of boxes for my own zuk, and the only ones that work without endless hassles are Scout II, FJ 60, Celica, Toy IFS, and Kick. If your axle is near the stock location and your not running huge rubber the Celica and the Kick are the easiest. If your axle is moved forward or need extra beef then the Scout, FJ 60 or IFS are the way to go.

Obviously with enough fab work anything is possible,

·
Premium Member
35,608 Posts
My conclusions on power steering is:
Stay with the type of steering that came with your axles, except Zuk axles then go celica.
When I get done with a front loop/cage. I’m going to put some sort of High steer system on along with power steering.

I will probably use the rocky road system to get both links above the springs.
I also plan to do a celica power steering setup because it’s easy and works well with 31-32-inch tires. The biggest reason I’m going celica is I CAN BUY A PITMAN ARM THAT WORKS.
I have read about all the different set-ups you guys use, and my biggest question was
How do I connect a Toy IFS box to Suzuki linkage.
I am not comfortable with welding pitman arms, so I’m going to use the celica stuff and buy the arm.

Next winter I plan on doing a toy axle swap. When I do, I’ll change the steering to something that connects to toy linkage. I haven’t researched that yet, but will probably use what came with the axles.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Well, I guess the most simple, brain free way to run links is with rod ends, but I would personally stick with TREs. I drilled my knuckles out years ago for rod ends and regret it every day.:(

·
Premium Member
35,608 Posts
Clue me (and others) in on:

WHAT IS A TRE?

(no I didn't search either;) )

I don't know much about steering and related components, that's why I said stick to what ever your axles came with.

·
Registered
499 Posts
TRE is short for Tie Rod End. The stock type joints at the end of tie rods and drag links.

·
Premium Member
35,608 Posts
How do you mix and match tie rod ends to go from Zuk linkage to toy linkage (and others)?

I have thought about putting a TRE on the pitman arm end.
After I cut the existing end off, How would I thread the end for a TRE?

Not really how, but what dies, what thread, and do you have to treat the threads after you cut them? I drive mine on the road too, so I don’t want “Oh they break sometimes”

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
hmmm where to start..... seach the general forum lots of guys mix/match suff, look for "threaded insert" AND TRE,

note: searchs do work better if you use word quallifiers (AND OR NOT) and try common mispellings :) and narrow the forums to 1 at a time...

TRE, I used the end that was with my "Z" bar (maybe someone has a part ##) I used a welded insert into a 1 1/4" .120 chromoly tube and used a 7/8" (chevy) insert and TRE to the high toy stuff...

point being i made my own used off the shelf ends that fit my needs.... if necessary i can post my stuff, but it all came from the general forum threads, (search "1 ton" chevy ends or what ever)

1st goround i got 7/8 NF tube inserts from avelanche -$15 ? each they have both right and left hand thread, jam nuts etc..

they also had 3/4" (~ 1/2 - 3/4 ton sized ends...) inserts/jams etc..

I had other 3/4 inserts from chassisshop.com that also fit my tube, so i use those.....

I bought last set of ends from buggysupply.com (linked in somoenese sig.) they were easy to deal with, they will also sell tube /ft. if you dont need a lot....

Fixing pitman arms is up to you, buy new, make your own, used whateven end came with it along with your other stuff...

there was a thread in general a few weeks ago on wher to get 7/8 LH taps to make your own inserts...

Also a tapered reamer is hand to make your own junk...

edit: TRE are used on cars becasue they "usually" will get so unbearable loose or bend before they break..... plus i can buy a 1ton chev end for $25 with a lifetime warenty, and trust me if i break that ive got other problems....
-yag

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
T-roy is runnin 44's out of a waggy with the tierod tapped for that funky jeep bent draglink. Someone convince him to buy new knuckles and runn Toy IFS with hysteer.

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts