• 115"?

Votes: 4 18.2%

• Total voters
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of extending my wheel base on my jeep YJ. I am running 39.9 TSLs, and have dana 60s front and rear. I moved the front end forward 4" and I am trying to figure out what to move the rear end back to get the ideal wheelbase. Does anyone have any suggestions? This is going to be the wheelbase I intend on keeping, but plan on converting to coilovers in the near future. Please help if you have any ideas.

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
What kind of climbs do you do? Is your wheelbase to short so you feel like you are going to go over backwards or are you trying to make a bus?
I say move the rear back 4-5" and call it good.

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
i know what kinda climbs you do in AK so i say 115, on a muddy & steep hill a little lenght helps alot

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Only drawback to going looooooong is the loss of turning radius. The trails in Indiana are pretty tight, which makes for alot o three point turns.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Tuffjarhed said:
Only drawback to going looooooong is the loss of turning radius. The trails in Indiana are pretty tight, which makes for alot o three point turns.

not to mention the effect to your breakover angle

·
Registered
891 Posts
Move your rear back about 5-6"
104" range is good for that size tire.

·
Registered
753 Posts
My CJ-5 is at 105" with 39.5's
Doesn't seem too long, and works great.....

Have to plan ahead for tight turns!!!

·
Premium Member
4,628 Posts
doctor_G said:
Move your rear back about 5-6"
104" range is good for that size tire.
I don't think that you just arbitrarily choose a wheelbase, you have other things to consider. Specifically, like doc_g said, tire size.

If you are running 44's or 52's, yea, I'd say 115, but if you are going to run 39's like you say, then I'd stick to around 104".

1 - 8 of 8 Posts