Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently moved from California to Texas. I desperately need to replace my Cam Shaft in my LC. Small Block Chevy. I can get the engine torn down most of the way but am hesitant on removing the cam and lifters etc.....is there anyone in the area that would be willing to help out????

·
Registered
5,640 Posts
Well, well, you are still alive, thought they sent you to Iraq or something.
How's things ? are you still in the CG ?
PM Texican , aka Butch Baker he may know someone or IMO you can do it yo self . Good to see ya postin.

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
Uh, is the engine still in the Cruiser?

Only "trick" is a tool to bolt on the end of the cam to help keep it straight going back into the block. Getting the intake manifold off is more work than R&R the cam.

What are you doing in Port Arthur? (Neighbor is retired, but all his kids are in Beaumont. If you need a shop to do the work, I can ask him for recommendations)

Tom

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
peesalot...what up dude...still in the coast guard...they promoted me to warrant officer...can you believe that????? call me when you get a chance 714-351-8876...

Tom.....thanks for the offer...i have all the tools in my garage i need.. the engine is still in the cruiser.just need someone who knows how to set everything up with the cam, lifters, distributer, etc.....beaumont is right down the road......hopefully someone around here can come over once i get everything torn down and all they will need to do is r&r the cam and lifters.....

my ph# is posted above....

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
my ph# is posted above....[/QUOTE said:
It's a no brainer, go to the local parts store and get ya manual of some kind on sm blk chev's or I can send ya one.
the most important thing is to have the engine ready to run for 10 min on start up at 1500 rpm to "set" the new cam, failure to do this can ruin the new cam
PM me if ya want and I will give ya my contact phone for tech help

·
Registered
5,640 Posts
warrant officer? whats that entail ?
Hows P ?
The kid move with ya ?
Just do it, they really are not that sensative. Just get the #1 piston to TDC and align the marks on timing chain and check both valves are closed to avoid the 180* out issue. For starting it just put the dist right back where it was ( you marked it right ?) and fire it off, like Baker says , let it run for awhile to seat the cam and lifters.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts