Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to start building up my '78 1/2 ton stepside. I plan on eventually putting in either a built 400 or 454 (haven't decided yet) and 35 or 36" tires. I would like to swap out axles and get some that are stronger to handle the extra power and tires. It would also be a major bonus if the rear axle came stock with disc brakes so I can save my money on a conversion. Any ideas (year, model, etc.)?

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
Look for a 1 ton, they have the best axles that you can get. Or at least look for a Dana 60 front. Believe there are some for sale in the for sale section. They aren't cheap, so be prepared. If not, go for a Dana 44. Should be able to get one reasonable, and alot of parts are available. The rear is easy, 14 bolt full floater. Pracitically indestructable, and easy to find. All 3/4 or 1 ton 2wd or 4wd in the 70's will have one. You can do a disc brake swap on a 14FF for $300, even less if you shop around.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Look for a 14 bolt from a 3/4 ton. That way you won't have to change spring and shock mounts. If you do find a 1 ton 14bolt, try to get the front and rear hangers. They sit inboard more than the 1/2 ton and 3/4 Ton ones. If you go alloy axles and CTM's a 44 might live. Depends on how and where you drive. If you go that route, Look for a 3/4 ton w/a blown engine. Usually if you keep your eyes open, they can be had fairly cheap. I have bought a couple of complete trucks for less that $200.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help. I will look for a 3/4 ton 14 bolt, that way I won't have to change much. Is there any special year range I should look for? Did any of them come already with disc brakes? If not, $300 isn't bad.
What about a front axle?
This truck won't be wheeled hard, and I am generally pretty easy with the gas. Mostly trails.

·
Registered
729 Posts
73-87. None in that range came with disk brakes. PM Shaker for the brackets, or he has them on E-Bay, too. For the front, I'd look for a 73-77 (Some 78-80's too for some reason) Dana 44 or a 77-87 Dana 60. The 44 will probably live just fine with your set up and usage.

In 78 they switched to 10 bolts on 1/2 and 3/4 tons. It is probably a toss up as to wheather the 44 is stronger than the 10bolt.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
35-36's, go with at FF 14 rear and a 44 up front. The 44's are fine for those tire sizes. If you are anything like the rest of us, go 60 up front.... You'll want bigger meats eventually. I'm sure 80% of the folks on the board with they would have done it right the first time. I guess live and learn..
I think this is why there is so much knowledge here, most of use have done 3-5 different lift/axle mods/swaps and then some.. Hell, i've had 3 different sets of axle under my jeep and still want to change things, geesh....WTF:flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
You already have a D44 or 10 bolt in front so you won't gain anything unless you get a 60. You can swap your hubs & rotors for 8 lug to match a FF14 rear.

For the rear you could look for a SF14 bolt 6 lug. It would be be plenty strong for your use & you cold leave the front as is (except gears). Not sure of the application (light 3/4 tons?), but there should be some newer ones with disk brakes.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks for all of your help. I will be looking for a '73-'77 3/4 ton donor truck to swap out. That way I can also get a new engine.

This may be a stupid question, but would the rear axle from a 3/4 ton 2wd truck work ok?

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
The rear out a 2wd will work, I have one in my 84, the only thing I noticed is the shock mounts, on the driver side of mine, the mount needs to be cut and pulled back for the shock to go on. It could be on just this axle, there are so many different variables with these trucks. If you aren't going big on the tires, someone said 35-36??, then your front will be ok, and can easily swap it over to 8 lug. 14 bolt ff are a dime a dozen, so finding one with your gears shouldn't be too hard, inless you have 3:08s in it, pretty sure 14ff are only 3:73 and up, never seen one numerically lower.

·
Registered
636 Posts
rear axles are rear axles for the most part. Just be shure you know your gear ratios.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
is it me or have like 10 people come on here the last week and asked this question. i swear i've posted 3 answers already. ohh well.

·
Registered
377 Posts
reeser said:
is it me or have like 10 people come on here the last week and asked this question. i swear i've posted 3 answers already. ohh well.
thats what i was thinking, they last 3 or 4 threads i have read are asking the same questions

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
44 and 14FF will be ok but it all depends on how you drive. I would begin building a 60 front or looking around for one. Hell I built one 60 from 6 diff. states in the US for under 1200.00 and had all the "upgrade" parts in it. Disc. swap on rear is a piece of cake to do. Let me know if you need any help.....Tim

1 - 13 of 13 Posts