Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is a 97 sentra, not 4x4 related but I don't want to sign up on another forum just to ask a question, so I'm asking it here. I read a few topics about how to set the timing on these. I need to warm it up, disconnect fans and tps, rev it a few times which put it in timing mode. I've done this several times.

My timing marks on the crank seem to be just circling around. Meaning, depending on engine rpm, i see them about every 10-20 seconds, then they continue counterclockwise out of view. It's not a random, see them, then not see them, it's a pattern.

Based on my problems, I'm suspecting a faulty distributor anyway, but aftwr taking the distributor off and putting it back on, the car started again so I tried to set timing, now this. Maybe it's just not going into timing mode and the ecm is controlling the timing still, but I'm a little lost.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It's not my car. And even running, the car isn't worth $1k which I told this lady. But she has continued to dump more money than it's worth into it. She's down on her luck and unemployed so we loaned her our car so I could see if I can get it going. She put new tires, brakes, and a tune up, which then caused it to break down on her and they said distributor was bad and wanted another $600. If I could make it run long enough get some of a return on her new tires, I'd call it a win. It has 258k miles.

·
Under Powered
905 Posts
Check for oil, water or both inside the distributor cap. These mount low on the block and are susceptible to water intrusion under the cap and oil intrusion through the shaft seal. Given the age and miles I would bet that one or the other is an issue. These have optical pickups. You can probably clean it if you pull it and carefully take it apart. A new distributor is less than $100 online and quick to change as you have already found out.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The o-ring between the cap and distributor is bad so for sure water, if splashed up there can get in. Everything is pretty oily from valve cover leak so not sure, but new distributor is on the way.

I talked myself into doing the full timing chain replacement along with the new distributor. I'm too dumb for my own good.:shaking:

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nobody? I got the distributor and installed it. Exact same thing. I don't want to do the timing chain so I'm stalling. I timed it by ear and a test drive and it runs well, but I have no idea what it's set at but want it right.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts