Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm scrounging up the money to lift my cj7. Right now it's on 33's with BDS 3.5 yj springs. I want to run 42's. I'm trying to do this as cheap as possible and need some help. For the lifting part should I use Rancho 44044's all around? Will that be enough lift to clear 42's? Should I just drill new center holes in my 3.5 springs to gain the wheelbase? I dont want to comp cut the rear but trimming it out a little is no problem. I'm also going to tube fender the front. Some advice on the steering would also be helpful. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
It would be nice to know what axles your running.

Without comp cutting the rear its going to have no uptravel but it can be done.

Are you planning on SOA?

Whats your lift plans?

Etc

·
Registered
879 Posts
Dude 3.5'' springs are plently high enough just start hacking away at the body. It may sound like you will have a hard time cutting your nice body up but trust me after the first cut it just gets easier. I hope you drivetrain can handle 42's as well.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I'm going to do an SOA. I'll be putting a 44 in the front and either a 14 bolt or a 60 in the back.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The reason I don't want to comp cut it yet is because I dont want to sling all of that mud on everyone else when I'm driving down the road. I don't mind slinging a little though.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wish I had the money for a 60. But if I found one in the junkyard i'd definately use it. I'm gonna be optimistic and just say that I'll be using a 60 instead of a 44 in the front. Maybe that'll help me get a response. I've got the axle deal pretty much figured out. It's just the suspension that I want to be sure about. I'm planning on an soa but my question is should i just redrill the centerpin holes in my springs now or should I but those rancho springs that give you a little stretch?

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
With 42's, the 44044's will work without cutting if you limit your bumpstops to maybe 1" of uptravel, don't alter your wheelbase in the rear, and never have any uptravel when turning. So essentially...they won't work.

I have 37's, 44044's SOA and have moved my wheelbase back 2" in the rear and forward 2" in the front...I still occasionally rub in both front and rear with the bumps set with 4" of uptravel.

THAT is realistic.

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
I'm scrounging up the money to lift my cj7. Right now it's on 33's with BDS 3.5 yj springs. I want to run 42's. I'm trying to do this as cheap as possible and need some help. For the lifting part should I use Rancho 44044's all around? Will that be enough lift to clear 42's? Should I just drill new center holes in my 3.5 springs to gain the wheelbase? I dont want to comp cut the rear but trimming it out a little is no problem. I'm also going to tube fender the front. Some advice on the steering would also be helpful. Thanks.
There is absolutely nothing cheap about running 42's. Trust me on this. They will bring to light any weakness you could have. You will throw a ton of money at your rig to make it work right. It took me 4 seasons and thousands to get my 42's to work well with the rest of the rig. After all that, I now run 39's and couldn't be happier.

42's will lay waste to that 44. I did damage to my 60 running those. If you are just street cruising, you will still waste the ball joints and bearings at a fairly rapid rate. You really would need to ugrade to larger steering components and a hydro assist. Your plan for the 60 or 14 bolt would be fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts