Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all together!
This is my first regular post and I directly need something! Thats not a good start I think!
But maybe somebody of you is willing to help a newby from Germany!

My problem is:
I imported a S/C 5VZ-FE engine from the US to my garage in Germany for a swap into my 83 truck. Now I ordered a engine manual in Germany to get the necessary information to get the engine wired up! But: There is the wrong diagram in it and of course no wire colours. In my manual there is just an ECU shown with 4plugs and 4row plugs, but my ECU has 4 plugs and just 2row plugs. There are a lot of A/T specific things shown like O/D switch,....which are not needed for me!

My question: Does anybody of you have the ECU-Wiring diagram for a 96 5VZ 4Runner engine with manual tranny and Cruise control which should be in the Repair manual like it is in the manual for a 91 4Runner?

It would be perfect if some body could help me, because there was never a 96 4Runner existing in Europe with 5VZ in it and I think that there were just Lancruiser Prado with 5VZ and A/T transmission available. So the chance to get dthe diagramm oficially in Germany is nearly zero!

Thank's in advance!
Marc

If somebody needs any Information from my site I will also help! I'm quiet good informed about Toyotas and their Specs in Europe! Diesel's, Straight axle Trucks,.....

·
Change is good.
35,184 Posts
Marc,

Sorry I don't have the specific information you need, but welcome aboard and you should be able to get someone can help you out. If you can't get the help you need here, you might also try the Tacoma board or The Marlin Crawler board .

What's the wheeling like in Germany? Can you post or host some pictures?

Good luck,

Doc

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what's going on in Germany?

Hi RocDoc!

Thanks for your information! Hopefully somebody has the wirings on his Computer! Otherwise it will be quiet difficult scanning it! The sheets are a bit wide normally!

Your question:
There is not so much going on in Germany, but there are a lot of amazing Events all across Europe!

One of the funniest events in Germany is the Steinbeisser:
Follow this link and you'll find some Pics:

http://www.jeep-power.de/photos/stb05/s2/index.htm

Another event, which is one of the hardest in Europe is the Croatia Trophy:

http://www.jeep-power.de/photos/croatia2005/cro05bu/index.htm

I am going to prepare a Toyota for the next Years Croatia Trophy, but the preparation is harder then it looks like! You have to build a car which is able to run 10days in a competition where the days stages vary between 30 and 120kilometers of rough terrain (like Top Truck challenge) and also stages where speed is a factor. So the rig has to make about 70mph on rocky roads or in the forest and halso has to be able to pass hard obstacles!

There are no Rockcrawling areas or competitions here so low gearing is not most important. The Truck has to be a good Allrounder.

You'll find some Pics of my rig here:

http://www.buschtaxi.org/cms/index.php?id=320

and also you can look at it in the Pictures from the Steinbeisser (link above)

Thanks, Marc

·
Change is good.
35,184 Posts

Your truck is built like how the guys in the Mid West and Southern States build their rigs. Lots of lift and Boggers for the mud. Looks good, I'm glad you're using it well.

Doc

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have the diagram for the 2000 5VZ but they did change the connectors and such fromyear to year. I will rummage around for the '96 and see what I find. It might take me a day but I am pretty sure I can come up with something.

-Ryan

·
Registered
44 Posts
Well, Some days are better than others for getting info together. The stars have aligned.

For the 96 Runner with 5vzfe, All the A/T wires and M/T wires are on here, you just need to pay attention to the asterisks and footnotes...

96 Runner 5VZ Wiring Diagram

-Ryan

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm impressed!

Wow! That was fast! Thanks Ryan!
That's what I need to get it running I think!
Perfect! Perfect!

By the way:
Do you know where the 96 4Runner gets it's speed impuls from?
There was no speedometer gear on my T-Case! Do they use the Antiskid-Sensors for the speed signal?

Thanks again!
Marc

·
Registered
4,004 Posts
I think it is cool that someone from Germany is posting on an American based bulletin board. :) Welcome!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Bandit!

Internet is international!

Marc

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Me again!

Now I read the wiring diagram I received through you and the Speed index question is already aswered by half!
I now know that the 96 4Runner sends the speed signal to the tach and the ECU by an Antiskid-sensor,
but for my swap it would be necessary to know if I can use a standard Speedogear signal for an electrical speedo from a 94 4Runner instead of the signal from the Antiskid sensor. I mean, Is the signal the same or doesn't it matter what kind of signal the ECU gets? On GPS-Navigation Systems for Cars there just have to be any signal between 3Volts and 14Volts and the amount of Impulses per Rev doesn't matter. (Just moving or not) But is it the same with the 5VZ ECU? I don't want to blow it! I just like to blow the Engine!

Thanks,
Marc

·
Registered
44 Posts
Marc,
I don't know where you got that info on the anti skid sensors but in my experience this is not how Toyota ususally does it. In virtually every application I have seen, Toyota either uses a cable from the Tcase or a Vehicle speed sensor (VSS) inline with a speedo. The truth of the matter is, unless you are using the auto tranny, you don't need to hook that spd wire up. The only thing it is going to give you on a manual is fuel cut at high MPH. (along with some very minor other things).

But, if you must use one, this is what I would do (and have done). Buy the VSS off of a 91 or 92 ish cruiser. That VSS will spin right on to the factory speedo cable port on the tcase and there is a peice of keyed shaft that connects the two. The other great thing about this VSS is that a regular toyota speedo cable will slide right on the other end of it so you can still use your mechanical speedo.

The VSS is a three wire hook up. one for power, one for ground, and the third is the output (that you would use for the ECU).

HTH,
Ryan

·
Registered
204 Posts
Yes - speed comes from the ABS wheel speed sensors. The ABS ECU massages the signals (all 4) and then outputs a sopeed signal to the engine ECU. I think it is a standard signal ('x' pulses per mile/kilometre). The 96 up 4Runner is the first vehilce I have seen use this. There was a previous thread on this.

My 94 "SP1" signal works fine on my 97 5VZ. I would recommend hooking it up.

·
Registered
175 Posts
hilux,

I have downloaded most of the FSM for both the 1994 and 1998 for my current 5vz swap into my 1994 4Runner. Email me if you want PDF files. [email protected]

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
@pugs

I am still sure about that anti-skid-junk but what I'm very interested in, is to look at such a VSS with output for a mechanical speedo! I have a mechanical speedogear which I am using at the moment and I have the electronical speedogear from the 4Runner where I put the diesel from. Both fit in the same location but will not work together. I already thought about using a Stack instrument panel to get around this trouble with the different needed speedosignals, but only if there starts a money tree growing in my garden.
If I could work with one unit for both would be perfect!

@Mazda

If I understood right, you are using the standard VSS signal from a 4Runner geardriven TCase as the SP1 signal for your 5VZ ECU? If yes, then there is another point crossed out on my "how to get sick of that" list!

@Pozi

Thanks for the mail!

@all
You are more helpful then a lot of service and repair manuals from Toyota are! They just put the information in differnet books and sides in the books as far as they can put them away from each other!
And my special problem is that there are at least maybe 100 5VZ engines running in Germany, and nowhere here is any Toyota 4Runner or Truck in the wreckingyard! I would find anything for a BMW or a VW but Toys die later and after they are dead they are going to be exported to Africa!

So thanks again!
Marc

·
Registered
44 Posts
yeah like I said, I am using the VSS from a 92 Land Cruiser. AS long as there is an output for a mechanical speedo (or even a place you can install one, like a block off plate) You can use this setup. you just need the Vss and the keyed shaft that goes between them. Piece of cake. It makes for a sweet addition to an engine swap.

-Ryan

1 - 15 of 15 Posts