Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im building a truck similar to king sling although more of a bog truck. I plan on having atleast 950hpclose rear engine tube chassis 4linked with 57"R2s. Looking to stay light. I have a set of steering 2.5ton toploaders. I just want to make sure they're the best route before I spend all the money on them. I was thinking maybe f106s but I have never really seen them in anything but race trucks that only go through a foot or two of mud.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
106's with Rockwell PR75 planetaries would handle it, but I wouldn't think you would want to use just F106 and an FDS75 front without the planetary reduction.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I pretty much decided im going with the top loaders for a couple reasons. 1. They have a large aftermarket support. 2. I just got off the phone with randy o which took the time to talk to me, his service is excellent, and his shop is a little over an hour from me. No d-shaft issues. And I already have them

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would go F106. Randy can build you whatever you need for a 106.
The problem with a 106 is I have never seen them in deep mud under high hp. Sure they can handle 1500hp. But can the center section take over a 1000hp in mud over halfway up my 57s? Especially if they're flipped to work with my rear engine. I don't want to have my sub frame so low I high center all the time just to have good d-shaft angles. Also the horrible loss in ground clearance compared to toploaders. I don't know what to think. Id like to run 106s because they're lighter. But that's a lot of potential negatives

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
The deuce axles will need everything Randy can throw at them, but once that is done they will probably work. Have you priced this project out? It sounds like a lot of money.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Stock for stock, an F106 gearset is stronger than a toploader 2.5. So unless you feel like throwing a a few more g's down on some OEM alloy gears for the 2.5t, the F106 is stronger. Both can have 2" shafts, chromo joints, alloy hubs, and sheetmetal housings made for them by OEM. The aftermarket is exactly the same. 106's can even be found in open knuckle versions stock, which toploaders never had.

Dennis is running them in King Sling with the Violator's machined down to 40 spline to keep from blowing gearsets but he has 57" R2's grooved to hell and back and 1800 horses. Anything less than that and you'll probably be fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts