Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched the net without much luck............

I am trying to find out if any one makes transmision adapters for the Ford Explorer V6 Engine to any other Manual Transmissions besides the stock explorer/ranger manual. We have an auto tranny in it right now but would like to swap in a manual and would prefer somthing with a low first gear. The auto tranny is not holding up well. It is a 92 Two Door Explorer, 44HP Front 9in Rear, 5.13's, 37" mtr's. Any help would be great.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I don't think there are any manuals available that would have the strength you are looking for that would just bolt up. The 4.0 shares the bellhousing pattern with few other motors, and most (if not all?) of them are smaller cubic inch versions of the 4.0 in light duty BII set-up's and Mustang II applications. I know AA just came out with the 700r4 adapter for the 4.0, that would solve your automatic strength issues since the A4LD sucks so bad when pushed hard. Maybe try asking over at Rick's site, explorerforum.com?

·
Registered
5,572 Posts
The only other thing I know of out there is a bell to swap to a t5, but it definetly doesn't have a lower first than the mazda trans..

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
The T5 swap is the only other manual choice. AA also makes an adapter to swap a 700r4 in if you decide to stick with an auto.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
search. theres a way to put a 435 in there with a modded 2.8 bell. then running a doubler and twinstick would be cake.

or you can swap in a m5od r1 with the r2 tailshaft and extension houing allowing you to do a 203/205 swap..

all in what ya want to spend money on and what resources ya got available to ya.

i am trying to get the rest of the tailshaft details right now..apparently theres a difference in covers too for the rear output bearing retainer.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The T5 sounds like an idea. I quess what I may try to do is take my spare motor, auto tranny, and some beer. Lay them out and see if I can come up with a way to adapt the T5 using the auto bell. The only thing that I can think of that may be a problem would be the clutch. I quess I have some thinking to do. :confused:

thanks for your help

1 - 6 of 6 Posts