Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In trying to put my ring gear on my spool I have come across a problem. The ring gear does'nt fit on the spool. I have checked all part numbers (spool and r/p) and everthing is right, do I grind the gear to fit or should I call the place back I purchased the parts from and ask for new stuff.

·
Registered
161 Posts
DON'T grind anything. what you want to do is put the spool in the freezer for a while and boil the ring gear in a pot (get it real warm). this will expand the ring gear and shrink the spool just enough for you to slip them on without any fuss.

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
I like a torch but the oven is the best way. Try the spool in the freezer and ring gear in the sun first and see if that is all you need.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just did this exact thing this last weekend, and all we had to do was press down on the ring gear in kind of an even pattern, and bit by bit, it went on nicely, but I can see how heating one, and cooling the other would work very well.
~Scott

·
Registered
28 Posts
just make sure that you line up the bolts first or you will have fun as soon the ring gear shrinks back down tight.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I understand you are suposed to heat the ring gear to 220 degrees and put the spool in the freezer for at least 12 hours and they will go together very easy. I dont understand why this is necessary on spools and locking diffs(ARBs ect...) and not on stock open carriers but that is the way it goes. Good luck and leave the grinder and hammer on the bench. I hope you know how to sett up the gears cause that is pretty technical if you have no clue.I wouldnt test my first time on a spool and new gears.Good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts