Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 1.3 in my sami that is giving me the hardest time in the world. cant seem to get my 1.3 to start. i have my cam mark up, crank set at 10 degrees, firing order 1-3-4-2. and it still wont start. im getting fuel and im getting spark, but still nothing. it just back fires. the other day i retard the timing by turning the cap back and it started barely, ran for a short bit and shut off. cant seem to figure it out. please help if you can.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Distributor timing off by a tooth or two? No compression? Whats the history? What happened to it when it stopped running? I would be happy to help man just give me a little more info. and ignore all the assholes that are gonna come on here litter your post with shit about how you shoulda searched the FAQ and every post on pirate. I get so damn tired of them. Hit me with some info.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey thanks for the input. today i redid the valve lash and it started up like brand new, haha. just running hot so im getting a new radiator tomrrow, replacing all my collant lines, and installing an electric fan. thanks for the help tho, ill be posting my sami up soon. its an 86 hardtop, soa, re arched srings, 2 inch shackles, and im running 31x13.50 on 10 wides.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Whoa buddy! Dont start throwing cooling system parts at it yet. It could be running hot due to your timing being off or other strange things. I don't know exactly, but I have heard that there's a wire on the firewall that when disconnected will make it overheat badly. Something to do with the timing or carburetion. It could be something with the cooling system but check yourself and diagnose it first before you waste money on parts you may not need. Tell me the history of this thing and lets try to get on track.

·
Registered
703 Posts
not only wasting money on parts, but puting a bandaid on a problem that isn't fixed will just cause more serious problems in the future. The 1.3 with stock equipment should never run hot. Running up and down grades in palm springs with stock equipment on 33" tires, my temp gauge never got past the half way mark.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the motor was just recently dropped in, i got the samurai not running but the previous owner said the motor was blowing blue smoke. so i swapped this used 1.3 in. dont know the history of the motor. i swapped a rebuilt head on, new head gasket. had some spare parts laying around so i wired up an electric fan. still running hot tho, previous owner said it used to overheat. im using his old radiator so im thinking that may be the problem. im going to try a radiator that i have on the side that i know is good.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Cool man.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts