Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a 78 Cruiser. I need help! I plan on running the 2F for awhile. What trans should I run? The 420 with a 3 speed t-case or is there a gear reduction for the stock 4 speed t-case? Later on, I plan on doing a 350 conversion - not now due to bucks. I don't want to buy things 2 times, I want to do it right one time. Any or all help much appreciated. Please no flaming!
Thank you.

·
Premium Member
6,814 Posts
If you plan to do the 350 later, keep the stock stuff for now. That way you dont have to buy the 2F to 420 and 420 to tcase adapters. The 350 will bolt up the the 420, you will still need a tcase adapter though.

As far as I know, the 4 spd doesnt have any lower gear options.

I believe you can put the 3 spd gears in the 4spd case for a little lower gearing.

I am sure someone else will add some here, you also might try a search for SM420, 3 speed t-case gears, things like that.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I agree with John on this, no need to buy things twice if you don't have to. You can put 3 speed gears in your 4 speed tcase, I don't think it is very hard either. If you want a little more gearing, get some 4.88's and wait until you have enough money saved up to do the V8 swap and do the rest of what you want then.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Pony up the cash for the orion t-case from AA;) seriously, sm420 with a three speed case. I would not bother with the 3 speed gears in the 4 spd case as you only change. not worth it... keep the 2F!

-Brett

1 - 4 of 4 Posts